none
Does not do too wll if bothe sides are removable media and one is used in another sync. RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have two jobs :-

1) Hard disk -> removable media 1

2) removable media 1 -> removable media 2

The last time I tried job (2) I got an error that one of the folders could not be found and looking at the synctoy window both had f: as the drive letter, but one side is just 'f' and the other is 'f:/Flash Drive'

The 'hidden file' was there on each drive to help recognise it but that did not seem to help.

I created a new job and that was ok.

Thursday, January 1, 2009 3:23 PM

Answers

• Why was second job originally F:/ --> F:/My Flash Drive  , sounds like the Left and Right are different disks but the drive letter is same here.

for the other questions, SyncToy will try to refresh the drive letter by looking at each drive in the system, so it's automatic.

The order should be you plug in the device then start SyncToy so SyncToy can try to scan the drives.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 12:27 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Is it possbile the removable media drive is now mapped to a different drive letter after plugging and unplugging them for the 2 drives but the job you are using still have the original drive letter, which is wrong now?

Thursday, January 1, 2009 4:22 PM
    Answerer
  •  

I think it was the Left one that was wrong. I thought that the hidden file it placed on the directory help to get round this problem.

Friday, January 2, 2009 11:55 AM
  • Can you please find out the orginal folder pair configuration and the new folder pair configuration?

for example, orginally 

folder pair 1 is    C:\Folder1  to F:\Folder2

folder pair 2 is    F:\Folder2  to G:\Folder3

etc.

and now F drive becomes ... drive, and G drive becomes ...

and the new configuration detected by SyncToy is ...

Thanks.

Friday, January 2, 2009 11:11 PM
    Answerer
  •  

The first job that worked OK was

C:\Users\John\Favorites -> H:\My Favorites. Copying my favs to my 'everyday' removable flash drive.

The second job was origianally

F:/ --> F:/My Flash Drive  copying my whole flash drive to my removable HD for backup.

The F:/My Flash Drive was detected OK on the second removable media but the F:/ should have been the root of the above H:\My Favorites (right side) so really should have been H:/

It started to scan the F:/ Removable hard drive (I recognised some of the filenames that passed by that are only on the HD) then it gave an error saying that it could not find one of the directories.

Both devices were plugged in from the start.

I always plug the External HD (the second job RHS) into the same USB socket but I think this time I plugged the flash drive into a different socket than the last time.

Another question or two -

Should the drive letters change straight away, i.e. when I start Synctoy and look at the jobs should they have the 'new' drive letters there before any job is run.

What is the best order to do things, start Synctoy and then plug in the devices or the other way round?

Saturday, January 3, 2009 9:04 AM
  • Why was second job originally F:/ --> F:/My Flash Drive  , sounds like the Left and Right are different disks but the drive letter is same here.

for the other questions, SyncToy will try to refresh the drive letter by looking at each drive in the system, so it's automatic.

The order should be you plug in the device then start SyncToy so SyncToy can try to scan the drives.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 12:27 AM
    Answerer
  •  

The sequence of events were :-

1) Plugged in my flash drive (assigned H:\) and external HD (assigned F:\)

2) Started synctoy

3) Ran Job 1 which was C:\Users\John\Favorites -> H:\My Favorites , that worked OK

4) Tried to run the second job but after scanning the directories on the external HD (F:\) is stopped with an error saying it could not find one of the directories.

The second job SHOULD HAVE BEEN H:\ -> F:\My Falsh Drive BUT it showed up as F:\ --> F:\My Flash Drive instead which was wrong.

The general situation I am trying to do is :-

a) sync selected stuff (currently just my favorites but will be more later) from my PC to my flashdrive

b) sync the WHOLE flash drive with my external HD for backup.

I may only do this though if I can add jobs anywhere on the list in an order I specify (always add new jobs that copy stuff from my PC to flash drive before the final job that backups the whole flashdrive to the external HD) so I can do a run all to fully sync and backup my flashdrive.

Finally I cant remember what the drive assignments were the first time I created the jobs.

Thursday, January 8, 2009 9:12 AM
  •  

Could this be the reason :-

In the help file it says

"When the path associated with the left or right side of a folder pair cannot be located, SyncToy loops through all existing drive letter assignments and attempts to locate that folder. SyncToy uses the information located in the SyncToy[ID].bin file to locate the correct folder. If it is located, the new drive letter will be associated with the folder pair and the folder pair will be executed."

In the above example when the second job was first created the left side was F:\ but on the second time the job was run there were different drive letters and now the the right side was assigned F:\ BUT according according to the help the scanning is only done when either side is not found but now both sides were found but on the same device.

Does the scanning feature take into account that a certain drive letter on one side is probably not the same drive letter on the other side.

I would think the fullproof solution would be to always place a [ID].bin file for every job and side no matter what the drive (fixed or removable) and ignore assigned letters and always scan for the matcing files. in the associated directories.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:46 AM