Install Management Reporter on Server RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to setup my test system for Management Reporter. If it is a one workstation install do I need to have the Server install or can I install just the client. The workstation I am trying to install on is not a server. I tried installing just the client on the workstation but it does not open it gives me a "has encountered a problem and needs to close" error.

When I try to install the server I get Windows Server 2003 is Required

How do I install just a test Management Report?

Thanks, Angie

Friday, May 7, 2010 7:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Angie,

If it is a VPC and you want to play around you can use the DCPROMO command to walk through the install. There may be howto guides on the internet but Server 2008 does a great job of walking you through all of the required steps. I would only play around on a VPC as you don't want to accidentally lock yourself out of your work machine.

Alternately you can download the GP2010 Hyper-V image to a Server 2008 machine and uninstall BETA and install the RTM version.

Thanks

Ryan

Monday, May 17, 2010 4:24 PM

All replies

• To run Management Reporter you must install the Server components on a server based OS (Win2003 or Win2008).  You must also have SQL Server 2005 or 2008 installed before installing the Server part.  The Management Reporter Client can be installed anywhere and will work on the server machine.  I would suggest using VPC to create a server image and install all necessary components there. 

One note:  MR does require the machines it is installed on are part of a domain.  They cannot be part of a Workgroup alone.

Please let me know if you have further questions or need help setting up your test environment.  You can contact me directly at rob.iversen@msxgroup.com or visit our website at http://msxgroup.com.

Thanks

Rob Iversen MSX Group www.msxgroup.com rob.iversen@msxgroup.com
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 12:24 AM
  • I am trying to do a VPC but since the VPC is not part of a domain that does not work. Is there a way to change the VPC so it is part of a domain.

Thanks,

Angie

Monday, May 10, 2010 8:39 PM
  • Yes but it is complicated.  You must set up a DNS server and install the Active Directory components and configure them appropriately.  If you have a domain at work you could join the VPC image to that and it would work.
    Rob Iversen MSX Group www.msxgroup.com rob.iversen@msxgroup.com
    Monday, May 10, 2010 8:44 PM
  • Hi Angie,

If it is a VPC and you want to play around you can use the DCPROMO command to walk through the install. There may be howto guides on the internet but Server 2008 does a great job of walking you through all of the required steps. I would only play around on a VPC as you don't want to accidentally lock yourself out of your work machine.

Alternately you can download the GP2010 Hyper-V image to a Server 2008 machine and uninstall BETA and install the RTM version.

Thanks

Ryan

Monday, May 17, 2010 4:24 PM
  • Ryan - We are interested in the Hyper-V image but there seems to be 3 different links on Partnersource (one of which I can't find..).

One link listed under VPC's is Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 BETA “Core” – 32 Bit Microsoft Virtual PC  Ver. 2 Technical Demonstration Toolkit- it says the following:
    This “Core-Plus” Version #2 BETA Technical Demonstration Toolkit will be available in late February/early March 2010.
    These “Core” and “Core-Plus” Version #2 virtual machines will be utilized for the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 U.S. Partner Readiness Roadshows

I've searched for the "Core-Plus" under VPC and Demos and I can't find it. The only other link I find is under demos and listed as:
    Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 BETA V2 Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 BETA "Light-Up" Technical Demonstration Toolkit

I just want to find an image of some sort that has MR installed. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
    Tracy

Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:18 PM
  • Tracy,

You can either download the GP2010 BETA image and install MR RTM (with your keys), or else the VirtualPC image of GP2010 is being worked on and will be released shortly. I believe you can't find it as it isn't quite complete.

Thanks

Ryan

Monday, July 19, 2010 7:00 PM
  • Ok. That makes sense on the GP2010 VPC image. I'll keep watching for it. Thanks a bunch!

Tracy

Monday, July 19, 2010 7:13 PM