Dynamic IP Address RRS feed

• General discussion

• As you know most of your target market will have a dynamic IP address.  If you see remote access as a big feature for WHS you may want to consider supplying DNS service for these users.  I know there are good DNs services out there but I'm not sure this audiance will even know about them or why the need them.  If you are suppluing a domain name you may as well provide DNS, perhaps first year included and an anual subscription after that.  If not how about some third party cliens and links to the services?
    Monday, April 23, 2007 5:40 PM

All replies

• If you read the documentation (highly recommended, lots of good info in there Smile ) you'll find that there is a dynamic DNS client/provider that will be included as part of WHS. At the moment, you are limited (on WHS itself) to subdomains of the livenode.com domain. So what you are requesting is already available.
    Monday, April 23, 2007 5:58 PM
  • Well, I thought I had RTFM'd but I must have missed it.  I looked in the Getting Started Guide,  Release Documentaton and Reviewer's Guide but only find a reference to having a name in the LIVENODE domain.  I must be missing it.  Where do you find the dynamic IP client reference?  TIA  Richard
    Monday, April 23, 2007 9:18 PM
  • That is the dynamic DNS client that's being talked about, Richard. Every dyndns provider has their own client software. Sometimes it's even built into your broadband router (I think mine has about 8-10 different protocols available).

In this case it's built into the OS, and it's locked to livenode.com. I believe Microsoft intends to offer additional optional domains at launch, but there's only the one for us beta testers. Smile
    Monday, April 23, 2007 9:52 PM
  • OK, I never heard of livenode and didn't realize it was a dynamic DNS supplier.  I thought it was just some domain you were using.  Sorry for the confusion. 

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 5:41 AM
  • Actually, it's part of the Microsoft Live group of services. It's mentioned in both the documentation and the WHS post-installation setup.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 12:44 PM