Software Installation to Server RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to find a way to install software other than WHS on the server box through the WHS console.  I need to install the Printer drivers, and in the future, maybe AV software, etc.  How is this done through the console? 

I know there's got to be a solution since this is supposed to be headless (and it is in my case, which is why I really need to find a way to do this from the console.  I don't want ot move this thing around again Smile ).

Thanks

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 2:30 AM

Answers

• Just RDP into the server (Remote Desktop). You will have a fully functional desktop at your command. Most things are more than likely not supported, but it is 2k3 SBS at heart.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 2:46 AM
  • Installing software on WHS is not done through the console, other than (eventually) add-ins. You would need to use Remote Desktop to do that. As a matter of fact, the installation of printer drivers is called out in the documentation as one of the few reasons to need a desktop connection to WHS.

All replies

• Just RDP into the server (Remote Desktop). You will have a fully functional desktop at your command. Most things are more than likely not supported, but it is 2k3 SBS at heart.
  • Installing software on WHS is not done through the console, other than (eventually) add-ins. You would need to use Remote Desktop to do that. As a matter of fact, the installation of printer drivers is called out in the documentation as one of the few reasons to need a desktop connection to WHS.
  • Thanks for the quick replies.  I must have missed the mention of the printer install through the Remote Desktop connection.  I read that whole guide again.  Must be getting tired.

Thanks a bunch!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 2:57 AM