Removing a Hard Drive. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a home server that I set up with two 160GB ATA drives.  Later I added an 80GB ATA drive to see how the add drive worked.  It is an older drive so I want to remove it and add an larger drive in its place.  I have run the remove drive wizard succesfully and it shows up as a non storage drive.  I then powered down the server and removed the drive.  When I start up the server I get a critical health warning saying that there are inconsistencies in the backup data base.  If I reconnect the drive, even without adding it, the warning goes away and the health goes back to green.  How do I physically remove the drive?

Friday, January 18, 2008 2:11 AM

Answers

• I added the 80GB drive and when it showed as part of the storage I used the wizard to remove it again.  We I shutdown the server physically removed the drive and restarted the server I still got the red heath notice.  This time it also showed in the Computers and Backup section that there were no backups present.  I used RDP to restore the backup data I had copied to a USB drive on 1/15 using the information in the tech brief in Home Computer Backup.  The server now shows Network Healthy with the 80GB drive removed.  I don't know why the remove drive wizard did not allow me to remove it but at least I have the system setup the way I want it now.

Friday, January 18, 2008 6:12 PM

All replies

• That's an odd situation. Did you get any (error) messages from the remove drive wizard?

Possible things to do:

1. Can you look if there are any backup files left on the 80GB disk (look for folder ../DE/{0000*

2. If there are no files you could try running backup cleanup from the WHS console settings / backup menu.

3. If there are some files there you could move them to D:\folders\{0000*. Before doing that make a copy of these files and your current backup database to a save location. Check out the Technical Brief on Home Computer Backup. You will find a method there to save a copy of the backup database to an external disk.

4. After moving the files run Backup Cleanup

Friday, January 18, 2008 8:56 AM
  • I did not get any errors from the remove drive wizard that I saw, it said it completed successfully.

When I look for the 80GB drive using RDP I don't see it.  Should I add it back into storage?

I have used the Home Computer Backup to copy the files to an external USB drive and I could do that again.

I will try the Backup Cleanup also.

Friday, January 18, 2008 2:16 PM
  •  gvanacker wrote:

I did not get any errors from the remove drive wizard that I saw, it said it completed successfully.

When I look for the 80GB drive using RDP I don't see it.  Should I add it back into storage?

No you should not add it back into storage.

You should be able to see it in windows explorer when login to your WHS using remote desktop. (unless it's failing or doesn't have a drive letter assigned) If you can not see it in windows explorer on your WHS please do: Start, Run, type compmgmt.msc and go to storage. If the disk is OK it should always show up there. You can also assign drive letter there.

gvanacker wrote:

I have used the Home Computer Backup to copy the files to an external USB drive and I could do that again.

No need to repeat this then

gvanacker wrote:

I will try the Backup Cleanup also.

I think this will remove the error, perhaps after reboot

Friday, January 18, 2008 2:52 PM
  • I went into disk management and assigned a drive letter, I then could see that quite a bit of data was on the drive.  Not only was the computer backup data was there but also it looked like all the data was in the shared folders, photos,  music, etc.  I did the data cleanup, and it completed succesfully, and then shut down.  I removed the 80 GB drive and restarted, the error came back.  I can see the drive as E: in explorer now and it still shows up as a non storage drive in the console.  I think I am going to add the drive back into storage, wait a couple of days, and then try to remove it again.  The only other thing I can think of besides that would be to copy the backup data to a USB drive and then reinstall the server without the 80GB drive present.

Friday, January 18, 2008 3:22 PM
  • I added the 80GB drive and when it showed as part of the storage I used the wizard to remove it again.  We I shutdown the server physically removed the drive and restarted the server I still got the red heath notice.  This time it also showed in the Computers and Backup section that there were no backups present.  I used RDP to restore the backup data I had copied to a USB drive on 1/15 using the information in the tech brief in Home Computer Backup.  The server now shows Network Healthy with the 80GB drive removed.  I don't know why the remove drive wizard did not allow me to remove it but at least I have the system setup the way I want it now.

Friday, January 18, 2008 6:12 PM