Windows 7 ultimate 64 bits. restore problem, WHS restore disk won't see RAID harddrives RRS feed

• Question

• I use the HP EX490 machine to backup al my pc.

Now I want to restore a backup:

Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits.

Harddisk in RAID configuration.

Problem. Starting up the WHS restore cd gives me the following problem:

No sign of any harddrive at all in the software where I can restore the backup from the homeserver.

I got a big red cross......

Where can I find a 64 bits restore iso file to fix this problem so it can make the harddisks visible in the program?

Thanks in advance

Richard

Monday, April 4, 2011 11:31 AM

All replies

• Out of curiosity do the Raid Hard drives show up when you are booting the PC?  (you know after Power On, your PC spits out a list of hard drives connected?)

I'm wondering if you need to copy over a 32 bit driver for your Raid array... I've been reading various posts where the WHS won't recognize a network card because it needs a 32 bit driver for that card... (because the restore CD is 32 bit)

You may want to take a look at this, look at the 2nd step, it mentions opening the backup, and looking for a folder within your backup that contains your drivers.  (Although I wouldn't think that you would need a driver for RAID since the OS should just see a C drive.)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/backup.mspx

Hope you find a solution.

Monday, April 4, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Here this article might also help you out, it indicates that you will need to download the 32 bit driver for your RAID array.  Probably from your motherboard manufacturer's website, and save them on a USB drive.

http://www.mediasmarthome.com/article/14041/Restoring-64-bit-PCs-from-Windows-Home-Server-What-You-Need-to-Know/

Please let me know how this goes, as personally I have a RAID 0 array, that I've never had to restore, and would like to know if you are successful.

Monday, April 4, 2011 1:34 PM
  • Yes you can see the harddrives when you boot the system and using the F12 key.
    Richard
    Monday, April 4, 2011 1:55 PM
  • I tried to download the Raidcontroller driver. Installed them onto a USB stick and when the restorprogram ask for it I installed them.

You can see them in the screen as a Raid controller. But still the disk manager will not see them.

And is a restore not possible......

Any further suggestions?

Richard
    Monday, April 4, 2011 2:19 PM
  • make sure you grabbed the vista 32bit drivers or it wont work... sometimes with my raid.. i have to look for drivers several times before it detects all the sub hardware.
    Monday, April 4, 2011 3:11 PM
  • I would say go to your motherboard manufacturers website and download any drivers they have for your mainboard, make sure that they are all the VISTA 32 bit version.  

Incidentally what is the manufacturer and model number of your mainboard?

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 7:34 PM
  • One more suggestion, download the Windows Vista/7 (x86) driver packs from here, and unzip them to a USB stick

http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks/latest

Hopefully the driver you need should be here.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 1:52 PM