Can't activate Windows RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased Windows Vista a couple years ago for a new pc that I built. Activation back then was fine.

After I upgraded most of the hardware and reinstalled Windows Vista activation was still fine.

A week ago I purchased Windows 7, and installed it, and it's working fine. But I didn't want Windows Vista to be wasted. I reassembled my old pc on which I originally used Vista first, and after istalling the OS and trying to activate Windows I got an error saying "The product key is already in use."

My question is, how can I get it working again?

• Edited by Vicc Saturday, February 26, 2011 3:21 AM Typo in title
    Friday, February 25, 2011 2:45 PM

Answers

•  

You can reactivate your Windows Vista installation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation (no charge).

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Vicc Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:12 PM
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 4:09 AM

All replies

• If Windows Vista was installed on your computer and you used an upgrade version of Windows 7 to upgrade, you cannot then reuse the Windows Vista license.  That license was "subsumed" into the Windows 7 upgrade license to form a complete "full license".
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, February 25, 2011 9:46 PM
  • It wasn't an upgrade version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116756

So is there a way to reverse the linking to my pc and use it on my other one?

Saturday, February 26, 2011 3:28 AM
  •  

You can reactivate your Windows Vista installation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation (no charge).

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Vicc Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:12 PM
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 4:09 AM
  • Thanks for the help. I managed to activate it this way. ^_^
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:12 PM