Quality control RRS feed

• Question

• What are the quality control methods in place so that a thread gets viewed?

Opening posters may wait for a reply and there may never be one, not because someone does not know the answer, but because the thread never circulated.

For Windows operating system posts what is methodology?

Should threads remain without views?

Should threads remain without replies?

What are the quality control methods in place?

Monday, March 26, 2018 2:28 AM

Answers

• There's no question the MSDN / TechNet forums are not bug free. Viewing a thread does not change it's order in the thread list. The default sort order is Most recent post, but can be changed as below, or also set filters as below. I often will filter a list view on No Replies

If you do discover something broken you can use the links under TechNet Web Site Support and Feedback to report them.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/cc512759.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 26, 2018 3:29 PM

All replies

• Most of the support in these forums comes from volunteers. I think the composition of the subject line probably is what drives number of views.

As far as I know the only expectation for support would be for MSDN subscribers in specific forums.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/msdnts/2015/12/27/priority-subscriber-support-in-msdn-forums/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 26, 2018 5:44 AM
  • Regularly threads are viewed and the view count increases.

There is one thread that as far as I can tell I am the only one that has viewed it 6 times.

This was a flaw or a bug in the Technet website as as time passes after an initial post the view count increases.

There is always some volunteer that is curious.

And for this thread it seems that someone knows the answer.

So the purpose of this thread was to ask about the quality control for the website.

The thread  had 6 views and I was the one that had viewed it multiple times to see how come the view count was not increasing besides my views.

So if you want to see a comparison I can post an identical thread and that can be used for comparison.  The title and contents can be exact.  The other thread is one week old.

Monday, March 26, 2018 8:46 AM
  • So the purpose of this thread was to ask about the quality control for the website.

I'm not sure what you mean, there really is no expectation of thread views. I usually use list views and read the subject line and first part of thread body to decide if I have any interest in viewing the thread. In this case the view count would not increase. 

As far as answers there is no guarantee of support other than what's mentioned in link for MSDN subscribers. The forums were always meant as a quick break fix type of solution / response. Users that need a higher level or immediate support are urged to call in to microsoft product support.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/contactus81?Audience=Commercial&SegNo=5&wa=wsignin1.0

Monday, March 26, 2018 1:35 PM
  • There are bugs in the Technet software.

That is the reason I brought up the quality control.

For example for the purpose of the comparison there is an existing thread that has 6 views and no answers.

The view count has not increased.

The issue of quality control revolves around whether the thread is listed or not.

There was a problem where the thread was not listed.

For example the thread was posted.

At some time the forum threads were viewed and this thread was not seen in next 300 threads.

So I thought it was missed and then went back again to view the new thread in the my thread category.

It was seen in my threads.

Then I went back to the forums and again in 300 threads it was not there.

So the quality control was brought to attention as there are times in which a post does not make it to the forums where it can be viewed.

This was not whether somebody may or may not have interest and is really about problems with the website where there can be bugs where a thread may not properly circulate.

So it is not on whether it was answered or whether it was an area of interest.

It is about whether a thread is or is not in the forums so that it can be viewed.

To illustrate the point there is a thread that exists today and the thread was not be viewed by anyone but the OP.  It was not viewed by any others that could have interest.  It was not viewed by others that could answer the question.  It was not viewed by any moderators.

If you want to see the typical number of views for the title the exact same thread could be posted again.  This way there would be one thread that is one week old and a new thread that has not been viewed by anyone but the OP.

Then at the end of another week you could compare the two threads.

Another option is to wait two or three weeks or a month to post again.

The question is what would be sufficient time to conclude that the website is with or without bugs.

In other words how does the failure to circulate a thread in the Technet forum get troubleshooted?

Monday, March 26, 2018 3:14 PM
  • There's no question the MSDN / TechNet forums are not bug free. Viewing a thread does not change it's order in the thread list. The default sort order is Most recent post, but can be changed as below, or also set filters as below. I often will filter a list view on No Replies

If you do discover something broken you can use the links under TechNet Web Site Support and Feedback to report them.

Monday, March 26, 2018 3:29 PM
  • Great.

Thank you for the link to report bugs.

Monday, March 26, 2018 4:10 PM
  • You're welcome.

Monday, March 26, 2018 4:16 PM