Home Server Console can't start because HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.dll is blocking it RRS feed

• Question

• Home Server Console can't start because HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.dll is blocking it

I started getting this message today for the first time.

If I click yes to the message to proceed, the console is launched but with the sharing tab missing or at least I think it is - there's one tab not there anyway :-).

I have an HP Mediasmart server with PP1 installed and with the PVconnect and McAfee add-ins loaded.  I did notice that after the upgrade to PP1 the console responsiveness was slowed considerably, sometimes taking up to a few minutes to refresh the screen when I choose an option.  I have been living with it but it's really a pain.  Other than that, the WHS has been working fine up until now.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:35 AM

Answers

• Husky-71 said:

No, just the PV connect and the McAfee add-ins. 

Please file a bug for this on Connect in the feedback section. Please include a screenshot of the error message and CABs for the server.

At this point, we will need to review the logs in order to determine what is happening.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:34 PM

All replies

• Husky-71 said:

Home Server Console can't start because HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.dll is blocking it

I started getting this message today for the first time.

If I click yes to the message to proceed, the console is launched but with the sharing tab missing or at least I think it is - there's one tab not there anyway :-).

I have an HP Mediasmart server with PP1 installed and with the PVconnect and McAfee add-ins loaded.  I did notice that after the upgrade to PP1 the console responsiveness was slowed considerably, sometimes taking up to a few minutes to refresh the screen when I choose an option.  I have been living with it but it's really a pain.  Other than that, the WHS has been working fine up until now.

Hello,

Have you installed any other add-ins?

Thank you
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:54 PM
  • Sounds like brendans tab ordering add in that does not work with PP1 don't it :)

Still.....
    Grey
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 8:50 PM
  • No, just the PV connect and the McAfee add-ins. 
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:29 AM
  • Husky-71 said:

No, just the PV connect and the McAfee add-ins. 

Please file a bug for this on Connect in the feedback section. Please include a screenshot of the error message and CABs for the server.

At this point, we will need to review the logs in order to determine what is happening.

Thank you
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:34 PM
  •  

Try uninstalling McAfee add-in.

Richard A Miller. Media Center MVP
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:23 PM
  • I uninstalled both the PV Connect and McAfee add-ins this morning and then shutdown and restarted the server.

The connect error message is still there, but the responsiveness of the console does seem better so that's a plus.

I can take a screen shot of the error message, but don't know how to capture the CABs for the server.  I've never filed a bug before on this system but suppose I'll be able to muddle my way through it if someone will tell me how to capture the CABs info.

Thanks,
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 7:50 PM
  • [edit] Oops, posted the reply twice, this message can be deleted

• Edited by Husky-71 Wednesday, September 24, 2008 7:52 PM double posted
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 7:50 PM
  • Husky-71 said:

I uninstalled both the PV Connect and McAfee add-ins this morning and then shutdown and restarted the server.

The connect error message is still there, but the responsiveness of the console does seem better so that's a plus.

I can take a screen shot of the error message, but don't know how to capture the CABs for the server.  I've never filed a bug before on this system but suppose I'll be able to muddle my way through it if someone will tell me how to capture the CABs info.

Thanks,

If you click on the links I provided in my post (especially the one for CABs), they will provide you with the information and there is a toolkit that will pull the CABs for you.

You will need to register on Connect before any of the Windows Home Server links on Connect are visible. The program is open but does require registration.

Thank you
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 8:44 PM
  • Ah, OK thanks, I'm new at this.

I've submitted the bug report.

Took a bit of extra time as I had to fire up my Win XP Pro machine to load the WHS Toolkit as it appears that the toolkit doesn't run on my Vista Premium x64 machine.

At least I did have the benefit of seeing the error pop up on that machine too so I know it's not the connector on the 64 bit Vista machine. :-)
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:50 PM
  • Any new news on this?  I see it has been marked as an answer, but I'm not sure what that means.

I've sent the log files in per your request, but I still have the problem.

Was there something else that I was supposed to do to make the problem go away?
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 5:43 AM
  • I had similar error messages plus backup server not running, faulty drive etc etc etc.

After reading multiple threads here, the common 'expert' suggestion was to do a re-install.
    I did that and it worked once then went back to it's old ways but massively slower.

At the moment I'm losing all patience with this OS. Funny thing is it was working well before PP1.

To answer your question, I get the impression that sending in these bug/error reports maybe helps Microsoft in the long term but doesn't help the end user in any way resolve their immediate problems.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 6:08 AM
  • Hello,
    the slowness after reinstallation may have to do with the rebuilding of all tombstones. Depending on how powerfull your WHS is, this can take a while. (You did not mention, how long ago you performed that reinstall.)

And you are right, your bug reports help Microsoft to discover reasons of issues. Sometimes there is a quick workaround, they or other users can provide, sometimes (in harder cases) not. In these cases fixes have to be found and developed - which is a tedious and more longterm task.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:31 PM
  • Thanks Olaf.
    It's been over a week now and daily backups that previously took less than an hour, now take over three hours.

I initially thought it was doing a complete backup as if from scratch every time except for the fact that the transfer speed is way too slow.

Very annoying as I upgraded to a full Gigabit network set up a while back which allows nice fast transfers direct to the server shares...

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:56 AM
  • Hello,
    I had a similar behavior some weeks ago with my main PC running Vista.
    But also access to the shares was nearly impossible. As I plugged the network cable off from the Broadcom NIC on board back to the Realtek NIC onboard of that client, all was normal again.
    So it's often the network card or it's drivers, which may cause issues on one of the sides in network connectivity.
    What for a speed shows your WHS network adapter? (right click on the network connection and select Status from context menu to see this information)
    If it shows only 100 MBit/s instead of 1 GBit, the network cable or a plug in the connection may cause the issues, since Windows Server 2003 checks the quality of connection instead of taking the fact of a Gigabit connection as given.
    If it is not the network speed (and it would not be the speed, if transfer to shares is quick), it could be the amount of data to be compared due to changes. Do you have a tool installed, which defragments the client disk every day and therefore shifts the data around? Or does your virus scanner open all files daily and marks them as changed in the file system? Such stuff could trigger the nmber of changed clusters, which would have to be compared with already existing.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:32 AM