One Care After Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I just ran the Windows 7 Update Tool and it has come back to say I need to uninstall Live One Care before I upgrade to Windows 7.  I use Live One Care backup to automatically back up my hard drive.  When I install the pre-order Win 7 in Oct after removing Live One Care will there be something in Win 7 to do the back up or will I have to buy another backup utility?

Since my subscription to Live One Care runs through Jan or 2010 and I install Win 7 in Oct, will there be some sort of refund?

Thanks.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 5:46 PM

Answers

• Will you be upgrading from Vista or doing a clean install of Windows 7 from XP or Vista?
    If you currently use Vista, you can upgrade to Windows 7.
    If you do a clean install, the best thing to do is to use the Easy Tranfer wizard (I forget what it is called in Win7). You migrate the files and settings to an external drive using a utility on the Win7 DVD. After installing Windows 7, you use the same utility to restore the data. It copies over the profiles and settings very well.
    I would suggest backing up your most critical data via another method - just in case - if you are doing a fresh install, wiping everything out. You will be able extract files manually from your OneCare backups using WinZip or a 3rd party tool, but that is a painful process.
    There will be no refund if you stop using OneCare before the subscription ends. Note that OneCare itself is at end of life and will be unsupported after the end of 2010. Sales of OneCare are slated to end at retail on 6/30/09. A free virus scanning application built on the same technology is currently being beta tested. It will work on Windows 7.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, June 26, 2009 5:58 PM