WLOC One Care and Router access attempt RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 questions,

1: My router been recording ever since one care 2.0 was installed remote access wrong password  was logged repeatedly

2: If one care wants to monitor my router why didn't WLOC ask for password info for router monitoring setup.

I have a linksys and because it has a user defined password It won't let One care have access so it logs remote login failed wrong password.

I don't allow remote access maybe I should just to get wloc to work with the router?

Monday, December 24, 2007 2:41 AM

Answers

• OneCare pokes at the router to make sure that it is not using the default password, which is what the router is logging as an invalid password. Personally, I think that this feature in OneCare needs to be changed as it seems to be causing issues for some people since OneCare regularly pokes at the router and/or modem to check settings. You may have seen a thread on a particular modem being rebooted by OneCare's poking at the PC startup...

-steve

Monday, December 24, 2007 3:43 PM

All replies

• OneCare pokes at the router to make sure that it is not using the default password, which is what the router is logging as an invalid password. Personally, I think that this feature in OneCare needs to be changed as it seems to be causing issues for some people since OneCare regularly pokes at the router and/or modem to check settings. You may have seen a thread on a particular modem being rebooted by OneCare's poking at the PC startup...

-steve

Monday, December 24, 2007 3:43 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

OneCare pokes at the router to make sure that it is not using the default password, which is what the router is logging as an invalid password. Personally, I think that this feature in OneCare needs to be changed as it seems to be causing issues for some people since OneCare regularly pokes at the router and/or modem to check settings. You may have seen a thread on a particular modem being rebooted by OneCare's poking at the PC startup...

-steve

WLOC doesn't have any info on this I chatted with some one last night and they say One Care doesn't do nothing with the router.

Like heck it doesn't I've seen my router reboot when once care pokes it I've seen my cable modem restart from wloc poking it

Wloc even brings back the check the floppy drive routine which windows had in it up till Windows ME Windows XP Windows Vista that part was removed because it annoid the heck out of us windows users

Monday, December 24, 2007 3:51 PM
  • It would appear that the tech you chatted with was unaware of this feature of OneCare. However, as we both know - it does indeed probe your router.

-steve

Monday, December 24, 2007 3:56 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

It would appear that the tech you chatted with was unaware of this feature of OneCare. However, as we both know - it does indeed probe your router.

-steve

I wish there was a Microsoft Online services Users manual a copy of the entire Help sites for all the online services It be 200 pages fat Hard copy of everything Maybe a Library of bookes each one covering each service and details straight from the dev teams that put all these new issues to rest

It's driving me nuts ever since the screen saver issue with one care no one knew for 2 weeks could confirm it was part of the performance because the dev team didn't make aware the new hidden iteams added to the software upon release It drove users nuts tech support too if I recall.

Monday, December 24, 2007 4:03 PM
  • I can confirm the exact functionality of this feature:

OneCare probes the router not more that once per 24h or when connecting for a first time to a new router.

If the following is true:

·         Router login is the default factory password

·         Wireless settings configured to non secure

·         Router is on the supported router list

OneCare will alerts the users of an unsecure wireless network and offer a wizard to assists in generating security and adding additional computers into the network. 

Future versions will allow users to provide login credentials so OneCare can better “manage” and monitor the device.

PS. If any of you are experiencing issues causing router disconnects or similar behavior, please report to this forum with the exact vendor/model of your router.

Thanks,

Oded

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 2:41 PM
  • Oded, have you seen this thread? http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1928567&SiteID=2

Many users have been reporting that the Motorola SBG900 is rebooting when a PC running OneCare starts up and connects.

-steve

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 12:50 AM
  • Thanks Steve,

We have identified an issue with the Motorola SBG900, the device was disconnecting on a specific HTTP request.

Issue has been resolved and an update was pushed to all users on 12/23.

Thanks,

Oded

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:03 AM
  • I've been having this problem with OneCare 2.0, and it happens more than just every 24 hours, with my Belkin wireless G router. This feature needs to be totally disabled and taken out in the next major update to Live OneCare. As a result of this, I removed Live OneCare 2.0, and for the time being I'm stuck using a competing program.

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:35 PM
  •  OdedL MSFT wrote:

Thanks Steve,

We have identified an issue with the Motorola SBG900, the device was disconnecting on a specific HTTP request.

Issue has been resolved and an update was pushed to all users on 12/23.

Thanks,

Oded

This also happens with Motorola Surfboard 5100 series modems, and with the AMBIT cable modem I bought from my local cable company. In effect the issue still happens.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 5:13 AM