none
What is Project->ProjectExtensions->VisualStudio->UserProperties node for in the .vcxproj file?

Question

• Not sure if this is the correct forum or not, so if it's not please direct me to the appropriate one.

I did something in MSVS 2010 which modified a .vcxproj file by adding this:

<Project>
      <ProjectExtensions>
        <VisualStudio>
          <UserProperties RESOURCE_FILE="projectName.RC" />
        </VisualStudio>
      </ProjectExtensions>
    </Project>

I'm not sure why it added it or when it added it, just that it was added and my manager want's to know why and what it's for. This code base is probably around 20 years old and it was never there before. Any ideas why it would just appear like that?

Adrian

Monday, September 30, 2013 7:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Adrian,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

As far as I know, it would be related the MSBuild Element ProjectExtensions.

Allows MSBuild project files to contain non-MSBuild information. Anything inside of a ProjectExtensions element will be ignored by MSBuild.

Reference:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ycwcwzs7(v=vs.100).aspx

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai[MSFT]
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 6:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Adrian,

Allows MSBuild project files to contain non-MSBuild information. Anything inside of a ProjectExtensions element will be ignored by MSBuild.

Reference:

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai[MSFT]
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 6:25 AM
  • Hi Adrian,

Reference:

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai[MSFT]
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

When and why is this added to the vcxproj file? Is it safe to remove this?

Andreas

Friday, January 29, 2016 9:12 AM
  • That is in there when you have a separate, resource-only DLL that contains all the resources, such as when you need to localize the project. It doesn't affect the build, but it does help VS to know where the resource file is so the class wizard stuff works. In other words, the UI used to add events, variables and classes need to know where the RC file is. You probably won't be able to use class wizard with that missing.

Bob

Thursday, August 30, 2018 2:39 PM