windows 7 professional activation RRS feed

• Question

• having problem my windows 7 professional 64bit activation. there was problem with my motherboard and I have to replace it . After replacing it can not activate my windows. How can I solve this problem. It is an OEM system builder pack. and I have the correct  product key. The error Message is" THE ACTIVATION SERVER DETERMINED THE SPECIFIED PRODUCT KEY COULD NOT BE USED"
    • Edited by kwameeric Sunday, May 20, 2012 10:58 PM
    • Moved by Mike Dos Zhang Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:34 AM move to more appropriate forum (From:General Windows Desktop Development Issues)
    Sunday, May 20, 2012 10:51 PM

Answers

• If your Windows came preinstalled on your computer (OEM) and you have changed the motherboard with anything but the manufacturer's replacement part then you cannot activate your OEM Windows and will have to purchase a retail copy of Windows.  OEM copies of Windows are tied to the original motherboard and cannot be transferred to a new one.  As the Microsoft OEM FAQs state:

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the End User Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by that End User Software License Terms. The End User Software License Terms is a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC.

If your copy of Windows is not OEM then please follow the intructions in the first sticky, titled "Please Read Before Posting", at the top of this forum page and post your MGADiag report in your reply.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:00 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• For help in windows activation, visit http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/genuine

This web site is for helping visitors to write software.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

Monday, May 21, 2012 4:22 AM
  • "kwameeric" wrote in message news:3a95e08b-d6ab-4143-9a65-22519a3ab8dc...
    having problem my windows 7 professional 64bit activation. there was problem with my motherboard and I have to replace it . After replacing it can not activate my windows. How can I solve this problem. It is an OEM system builder pack. and I have the correct product key. The error Message is" THE ACTIVATION SERVER DETERMINED THE SPECIFIED PRODUCT KEY COULD NOT BE USED"

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
    (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 11:15 AM
  • If your Windows came preinstalled on your computer (OEM) and you have changed the motherboard with anything but the manufacturer's replacement part then you cannot activate your OEM Windows and will have to purchase a retail copy of Windows.  OEM copies of Windows are tied to the original motherboard and cannot be transferred to a new one.  As the Microsoft OEM FAQs state:

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the End User Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by that End User Software License Terms. The End User Software License Terms is a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC.

If your copy of Windows is not OEM then please follow the intructions in the first sticky, titled "Please Read Before Posting", at the top of this forum page and post your MGADiag report in your reply.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:00 PM
    Answerer