MS CRM session management RRS feed

• Question

• Ok .... lot of internet search gave no result.
    How do we do "your session has expired, please login again" thing in MS CRM?

I need to set MS CRM (its currently in windows authentication mode) so that the session expires after a fixed duration and the user needs to login again. As its windows authentication mode and ie is set for automatic login, the user may simply close the ie and reopen it to start a new session
    - Arvind
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Arvind,

why do you want to implement a "session expiration"?

Neither the mentioned configuration of the ASP.NET state provider (which is imho an unsupported change of the configuration) nor the mentioned recycling setting of the application pool will force the user to start a new "session".
    Friday, January 15, 2010 9:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Arvind,

if your user use the webclient, you can configure the timeout of the website in the IIS.

Only the outlook client authentificates automaticly in the background.

Viele Grüße

Michael Sulz
    axcentro GmbH
    MVP für Microsoft Dynamics CRM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:35 PM
  • Hi Michael,
    thanks for the reply.

in the iis (its 7.0) I guess I need to modify the settings of the CRM site.
    In session state I find following session state mode settings:
    1)Not Enabled
    2)In Process
    3)Custom
    4)State Server
    5)SQL server

which one should I select here? I see timeout setting for state server and sql server. Do I need to setup these servers to use this feature?
    Could you explan this in a bit detail or point me to some url regarding this?
    - Arvind
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:57 PM
  • try this:

In IIS under the Application Pool that CRM uses, typically “crmappool”
     Uncheck the “Shut down worker process after being idle for…” on the performance tab.

You might want to set the application to recycle at a specified time so that the applcaiton is periodically refreshed.  This is done in “Reycycling” tab. 

Then turn on the ASP.NET state Service (administrative tools/Services) and make sure it’s set to automatic:
    also check if therer is any timeout setting in the webconfig file.

Tiaan van Niekerk http://crmdelacreme.blogspot.com Skype:tiaan.van.niekerk1
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:04 PM
  • Hi Arvind,

why do you want to implement a "session expiration"?

Neither the mentioned configuration of the ASP.NET state provider (which is imho an unsupported change of the configuration) nor the mentioned recycling setting of the application pool will force the user to start a new "session".
    Friday, January 15, 2010 9:25 PM
  • yes you are right. I tried many ways but the session simply refuse to expire.
    I wan't this because of the very obvious reason. The requirement is like that. "The session should expire after a predetermined duration and the user should be forced to login again".
    And I have run out of all possible workarounds. Is there a clever way to achieve something (apart from setting screensaver lock :) ) which can fulfil the above requirement?
    - Arvind
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 2:24 PM
  • as ckeller mentioned, it is not possible to do what you are attempting unless you can find a way to log the user out of Active Directory.  That will end all CRM related sessions but it will also mean that the user will most likely have to reboot their computer to get authenticated again.
    Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 9:20 PM