Contact import from xls limited to 130 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I'm not sure if this is a standard feature (and don't understandwhy it would be). I am running Office Pro Plus 2010 on Windows 7. I recently exported my Outlook, MSN and Cell Phone contacts all to a single xls 1997-2003 file. This was so I could sort out duplicates, update for new addresses etc. In all, I have 241 rows of contacts.

When this xls file was complete, I attempted to import to Outlook. For some reason, every time I try, only 130 contacts are imported. I have tried removing the first 130 rows from the xls file and then importing the next 111 but this does not work unless i remove the 130 already on outlook. When updating the contacts file in Excel, i sorted the list alphabetically by Last Name. In doing this, it gave a mix of Outlook, MSN and Cell contacts, in no particular order, throughout the file, so I know it is nothing to do with the origin of the data.

Is this by any chance a limit within Outlook or am I missing something?

In case it's important, the xls file is 114kb

I converted to a 70kb .csv file but experienced a whole different issue when trying to import from csv.

Please advise at any convenience.

Cheers

Derek

• Moved by 许阳(无锡) Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:20 AM end-user issue (From:Outlook for Developers)
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 8:07 PM

Answers

• Hi derekjspence,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Would you please show me the steps to reproduce your issue? It seems more like an end-user issue. If you don’t use any program ways to handle your issue, I would recommend you post it in the http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/outlook for better support.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Monday, December 19, 2011 5:06 AM
  • Tom

I took your advice and went to Microsoft Answers. Got an answer right away. I saved the xls file as CSV (DOS) and all contacts imported fine. Something to do with "Name Channel" or something...

Again, thanks for the reply which, in the end, helped come up with the solution.

Derek

Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:48 PM

All replies

• Hi derekjspence,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Would you please show me the steps to reproduce your issue? It seems more like an end-user issue. If you don’t use any program ways to handle your issue, I would recommend you post it in the http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/outlook for better support.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Monday, December 19, 2011 5:06 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Tom

Below, I attempt to show the steps I have used (note, my outlook is linked to my hotmail and work account):

1 - Select all contacts in my work contact list

2 - Export these contacts to Excel 1997-2003

3 - Repeat 1 & 2 for hotmail contacts

4 - Delete all contacts from outlook

5 - Using "Sperry Software, V-Card Converter", import all cell phone contacts to outlook (Sperry Software add in for Outlook is capable of importing multiple contact vcf files in one action)

6 - Repeat 1 & 2 to export mobile contacts to excel

7 - Copy and paste contacts from the 3 xls files into one file for editing

8- Remove duplicate entries (manually), replace old with new values (ie. email addresses, mobile number etc.)

--- Note, at no stage was code created on this xls file, no collumns have been added or removed and the file format always remained as created by Outlook

9 - Delete all contacts from Outlook (ie. imported vcf contacts)

10 - Import the single xls file which has amalgamated contacts from work, hotmail and cell phone

--- It is at this stage that only 130 contacts import

I have altered the xls file I want to import in a number of ways (remove rows that originate from each contact list, change the sorting rules on the file). Outlook is always capable of importing the first 130 contacts, whatever order they are in or whatever origin the contact data is from, but that is the limit.

I don't believe I am doing anything wrong here but it could be that I am missing something obvious.

Your time is appreciated.

Derek

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:48 PM
  • Tom

I took your advice and went to Microsoft Answers. Got an answer right away. I saved the xls file as CSV (DOS) and all contacts imported fine. Something to do with "Name Channel" or something...

Again, thanks for the reply which, in the end, helped come up with the solution.

Derek

Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:48 PM