Replacing drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,

I have 4 sata drives. 1 80GB for the OS, 1 250GB, 1 500GB and 1 1TB drive. If I wanted to replaces the 250 or the 500 for a bigger drive. Would I lose any data? Could I copy whats on the drive I want replaced and add the new drive?

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 11:50 AM

Answers

• Thanks Ken.

Looks like I may need a internal sata card as my motherboard only supports 4 sata drives. Or a external drive (until I get the old one out) I would rather an internal, for future expansion. I guess this is the way to go. Thanks again Ken.

• Marked as answer by DigitalEXP Saturday, July 3, 2010 11:25 AM
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 9:58 PM

All replies

• Replacing a drive is easy: add the new drive to the storage pool, then remove the old drive from the pool. Finally, remove the old drive physically. If you don't have room in your case, you can use a USB bridge device to connect the bare drive temporarily. Add it, remove the old drive, and install the new drive inside the case.

If you have plenty of free space, you can remove the old drive first, then add the new drive afterward.

Cloning drives is unsupported and likely to cause problems, as Windows Home Server uses identifiers which don't usually get copied for it's storage pool drives.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 12:22 PM
  • Thanks Ken.

Looks like I may need a internal sata card as my motherboard only supports 4 sata drives. Or a external drive (until I get the old one out) I would rather an internal, for future expansion. I guess this is the way to go. Thanks again Ken.

• Marked as answer by DigitalEXP Saturday, July 3, 2010 11:25 AM
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 9:58 PM