3 Questions about disk drive management RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have 2 500GB drives and 2 1TB drives in my HP homeserver. I want to upgrade my total disk available, so I purchased a 1.5TB drive. As I installed the new drive, 3 questions came to mind.

1) My system drive is now the last 500GB drive. Is this drive too big? My understanding is that the system drive only holds the 20GB system and the "tombstones" for the file system. Is this a waste of space? I have a 250GB drive I could swap and use the 500GB as a external backup disk. I have seen some posts on this site that suggest 500GB is a good system drive size, I just don't want to waste space if its not needed.

2) My new drive is empty, I understood the system would move data around so all drives are balanced. Is there something I can run to force this process?

3) My new drive is a WD green drive (will power itself down when used for a period of time), and I heard both sides of the story: The drive will work fine, and WHS should not have a drive that will power down without WHS telling it to do so. Is this a safe drive to use in a WHS system? I looked to see if I could configure the drive not to save power without success.

Thanks in advance, Happy Thanksgiving to all
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:17 PM

Answers

1. Windows HOme Server tries to keep the system drive clear, but it will use the space on that drive if needed. So a larger drive isn't "wasted".
    2. Windows Home Server doesn't "balance" drives so that all are equally full. The algorithm it uses to determine where files should go is biased toward putting them on drives that already contain data, so it's normal for some drives to be almost full, while others are almost empty. There's no way of permanently changing this behavior. There is a tool which will force Windows Home Server to move files from drive to drive, but it's unsupported and unneccessary, since the distribution of files is really a cosmetic issue at worst.
    3. If a drive powers down, it may take too long to power back up when Windows Home Server tries to access it. That said, a number of users have WD Green drives in their servers and they seem to have no problem.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:52 PM

All replies

1. Windows HOme Server tries to keep the system drive clear, but it will use the space on that drive if needed. So a larger drive isn't "wasted".
    2. Windows Home Server doesn't "balance" drives so that all are equally full. The algorithm it uses to determine where files should go is biased toward putting them on drives that already contain data, so it's normal for some drives to be almost full, while others are almost empty. There's no way of permanently changing this behavior. There is a tool which will force Windows Home Server to move files from drive to drive, but it's unsupported and unneccessary, since the distribution of files is really a cosmetic issue at worst.
    3. If a drive powers down, it may take too long to power back up when Windows Home Server tries to access it. That said, a number of users have WD Green drives in their servers and they seem to have no problem.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:52 PM
    1. That said, a number of users have WD Green drives in their servers and they seem to have no problem.

I can confirm WD drives work ok on my setup. My home-built WHS has two internal Western Digital WD10EADS Caviar Green 1tb SATAII 32Mb Cache 3.5 Inch Green Power OEM Internal Hard Drives and has been running fine for about two months now with folder duplication turned on for all shares; and about 450Gb of data.

I don't know if it works better having two equal internal disks? My assumption is that both wake up with equal speed whereas mixed drives may cause problems if they wake up differently
    Friday, November 27, 2009 12:18 PM
  • <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0cm; margin-right:0cm; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

HI All.

I have 2 Samsung 1TB drives and 1 WD green 1TB drive and continuously WHS tell me the drive is disconnected, i have to reboot and it comes back, but it always tells me its healthy. Also iv been getting allot of file conflicts "cycle errors or something" i just ran a drive chkdsk and everything seems fine now. maybe the WD is causing issues ??

regards aron.

Saturday, November 28, 2009 2:28 AM
  • If you're using an external USB drive, consider moving the drive inside your case, or using an eSATA drive enclosure instead of USB.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 3:37 AM
  • i just had heaps of errors popup in WHS console. all cycle erros and corruption. im going to safly remove the WD and see if it contunies.

cheers aron
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 4:21 AM
  • Sounds like the drive is defective...
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 3:18 PM
  • since removing the WD i have had no issues now. i think i might stick with samsung drives. im running 2 ATM. so far so good.

cheers aron.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 10:39 PM
  • I wouldn't blame the WD Green drives as a whole, but maybe that one in particular.

I personally have two 1.5TB and two 1TB Western Digital Green data drives with a 120GB WD Caviar system drive.  I have zero problems with it and trust me I have 4TB of storage consumed.  I use it for sharing photos with family across the country, streaming videos to my Xbox 360, shared document storage, and backing up the 7 computers I have at home.  I have zero issues with it even with the 3 hour Avast antivirus scans which happen every other night. 

The only drives I have had fail in there was a 250GB Seagate which was easy to replace and a 160GB Hitachi which was unfortunately the system drive, that was my first rebuild of the WHS.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 10:47 PM