Opening Backups Hangs at 79% and BSOD RRS feed

• Question

• I have a relatively new HP MediaSmart WHS (stock, have only added a 1 TB Drive); recently while trying to restore files from a backup on the WHS to a new desktop I get the BSOD while opening the backup file.  The progress bar gets to and hangs at 79% and then the client crashes.  I've tried everything I can think of to try and get it to work, i.e., reinstalling programs, resetting the WHS, rebooting client, etc and nothing works.  The WHS has been updated with the PP1.  Can anyway help me out?

Thanks!!

Dieter B
    Monday, October 27, 2008 12:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Dieter,

What is the exact BSOD message?  If the BSOD refers to VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT and points to 0xC1F5 (CLFS.SYS), please refer to this 
    thread and this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946084/en-us 

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Monday, October 27, 2008 12:52 AM
  • Hi Dienter,
    did you right click on the downloaded file, select Properties from Context menu and click on Allow? (Fresh downloaded files are often blocked by Internet Explorer Security settings and must be allowed manually. Otherwise they may work or may cause strange errors.)
    If this is in Vista, also try to right click the file and select Run as Administrator.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, October 27, 2008 12:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Dieter,

What is the exact BSOD message?  If the BSOD refers to VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT and points to 0xC1F5 (CLFS.SYS), please refer to this 
    thread and this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946084/en-us 

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Monday, October 27, 2008 12:52 AM
  • Laura

Thanks for the quick reply - my problem is as you stated.  I downloaded the hotfix and when I tried to extract the zipped files I get an error code of 40.  Any ideas??

Thanks again...
    Monday, October 27, 2008 4:03 AM
  • Hi Dienter,
    did you right click on the downloaded file, select Properties from Context menu and click on Allow? (Fresh downloaded files are often blocked by Internet Explorer Security settings and must be allowed manually. Otherwise they may work or may cause strange errors.)
    If this is in Vista, also try to right click the file and select Run as Administrator.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, October 27, 2008 12:36 PM
  • Laura/Olaf

Your fixes worked beautifully - I'm happily restoring files from my backup to my new computer.  Thank you so much for your help, it is appreciated!!

Tschussi

Dieter
    Monday, October 27, 2008 2:02 PM