none
Fascinating Lesson Here, for Someone Smarter than I RRS feed

• Question

• I was about to post my Search issue in the usual place, then saw that this forum existed. I opened the forum, and found only a single page worth of posts. None of them were about search. I'm sure that a smarter person than I could learn a lot about the design of these web sites if he coould learn why these posts were made to this forum.

Either that, or there's a bug in the Forums software, so I'll post this in the bugs and suggestions forum as well, then come back and raise my actual issue.

John Saunders | Use File->New Project to create Web Service Projects
    • Moved by justingrant Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:12 PM moving to forums feedback forum (Moved from MSDN and TechNet Search Feedback to Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums)
    Saturday, August 30, 2008 11:37 PM

Answers

• Hi John - you've exposed an annoying problem with forums sites in general. Many people will drop their questions into a forum, seemingly at random, without regard for whether it's the best forum for their question.  I assume only a small percentage of users (let's say 5%) are careless enough to do this, but 5% of a large number is still large. :-(

Without moderators watching carefully (I'm the moderator of the search forum and I was out on vacation for the past week) this means forums will quickly fill up with random, misplaced questions. I just moved all the errant questions into better spots.  Thanks so much for "covering" for me while I was out.  I should make you an "honarary moderator". :-)

BTW, you'll be pleased to know that my top feature request to the team who builds our forums is to address the problem of people posting into the wrong place. These fixes may include:
    1 - a customized warning message that forum owners (me for this forum) can write for people posting into a forum, e.g. "if you're not posting about MSDN & TechNet Search, you're posting in the wrong place!  Post into <list of links here> instead!"
    2 - a more streamlined "new question" UI which makes it easier to choose the right forum the first time
    3 - an easier way to move questions which end up in the wrong place.
    And so on.  You get the idea-- it's an annoying, labor-intensive problem caused by human laziness, but software can still make a difference. :-)

BTW, I'll move this thread into the forums feedback forum-- perhaps the forums team wants to comment on what innovations are coming soon to help ease the pain of people posting into the wrong forum?
    Justin Grant [MSDN and TechNet]
    • Marked as answer by John Saunders Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:15 PM
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:10 PM

All replies

• Hi John - you've exposed an annoying problem with forums sites in general. Many people will drop their questions into a forum, seemingly at random, without regard for whether it's the best forum for their question.  I assume only a small percentage of users (let's say 5%) are careless enough to do this, but 5% of a large number is still large. :-(

Without moderators watching carefully (I'm the moderator of the search forum and I was out on vacation for the past week) this means forums will quickly fill up with random, misplaced questions. I just moved all the errant questions into better spots.  Thanks so much for "covering" for me while I was out.  I should make you an "honarary moderator". :-)

BTW, you'll be pleased to know that my top feature request to the team who builds our forums is to address the problem of people posting into the wrong place. These fixes may include:
    1 - a customized warning message that forum owners (me for this forum) can write for people posting into a forum, e.g. "if you're not posting about MSDN & TechNet Search, you're posting in the wrong place!  Post into <list of links here> instead!"
    2 - a more streamlined "new question" UI which makes it easier to choose the right forum the first time
    3 - an easier way to move questions which end up in the wrong place.
    And so on.  You get the idea-- it's an annoying, labor-intensive problem caused by human laziness, but software can still make a difference. :-)

BTW, I'll move this thread into the forums feedback forum-- perhaps the forums team wants to comment on what innovations are coming soon to help ease the pain of people posting into the wrong forum?
    Justin Grant [MSDN and TechNet]
    • Marked as answer by John Saunders Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:15 PM
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:10 PM
  • I've used 1. in "my forums". It helps*to a certain extent* but doesn't remove the problem entirely, as I'm still getting way off-topic posts there despite such a sticky post.

As for 3. it's already easy enough (*) to move questions that end up in the wrong place, *provided* that

a) you want to move it to a forum that has already been moved to the same set of new forums that the old, wrong, one was in. (Note that you are doing no favors by having different sets of forums under the MSDN and the TechNet banner and not making it possible to move a message from the MSDN set to the TechNet set.)

b) you are using a browser (surprise, surprise, this means IE) which provides a solid interface to the Move thread function. (I have to scroll down the forums one by one in Firefox and can't use the cursor to find the correct forum).

c) you have Moderator rights in the forum concerned.

In this case, if John (say) had had Moderator rights he could have covered for you in a much more efficient way by moving all those off-topic posts to the Off-Topic forum, rather than only being able to tell people they were in the wrong forum and yet be frustrated by having to leave them in the wrong forum.

Mike Walsh

P.S. re (*): it might be just that it is at present easy because there are so few forums. Certainly it's going to be a very long list of forums to scroll down when all forums are listed. It would be very useful if a Moderator could create a set of forums to be listed here for him/her. I certainly move questions either to off-topic or to a restricted number of other forums.
    Monday, September 1, 2008 4:38 AM