System Explorer in OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows Defender, there is an option in Tools called "System Explorer" (I think that's it) which tells one about system access for a variety of programs running on the computer.  There is also a pop-up balloon and window which tell one when some program wants to make a change, and asks whether that should be allowed.

Where is this in OneCare?  If it's not there . . . why?

Thanks.

MATTHEW

Monday, November 10, 2008 9:44 PM

Answers

• I'm moving this post to the Startup Cleaner topic.

OneCare doesn't have a System Explorer tool like Defender and I don't know why. However, OneCare does have a Startup Cleaner. You can find this by opening OneCare and clicking on Change Settings. On the Tuneup tab you will see a button for Change Startup Settings. It will present you with a list of programs that run at startup and give you the opportunity to disable ones that you don't want to start.

-steve

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:06 AM

All replies

• I'm moving this post to the Startup Cleaner topic.

OneCare doesn't have a System Explorer tool like Defender and I don't know why. However, OneCare does have a Startup Cleaner. You can find this by opening OneCare and clicking on Change Settings. On the Tuneup tab you will see a button for Change Startup Settings. It will present you with a list of programs that run at startup and give you the opportunity to disable ones that you don't want to start.

-steve

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:06 AM
  • Perhaps, they wanted to keep things simple for us home users.

When the balloons come up asking to permit or not permit certain changes, it almost seems like Defender is acting like a firewall. (I know it's not; but, it feels like it.)  Maybe, that's part of it: the WLOC firewall is already making some of those decisions behind the scenes.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:11 PM
  • Here's something interesting I read in Paul Thurrott's review of the Windows 7 Beta on his site, SuperSite for Windows (http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/ff.asp):

"Windows Defender. The malware and spyware protection utility from Windows Vista continues in Windows 7 with a few changes: It's been integrated into the new Action Center and its centralized notification system. But Defender also drops the useful Software Explorer feature, so users will have to look elsewhere for a way to prevent unwanted applications from running a startup."

I guess you're right that that function has been integrated into OneCare's "Startup Cleaner" feature.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:28 PM
  • That's an interesting tidbit. Thanks for posting it.

If you want to really get into the nitty gritty of processes, you can get several utilities from here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx

-steve

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:34 AM
  • Whoa, Steve!  TMI; TMI.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:30 AM
  • They do really get into the nitty gritty of the internals of Windows, so they aren't to be used lightly by the average user, but they are very enlightening for those inclined to dig deeper and learn all that they can about the OS on their PC. Enjoy. :-)

-steve

Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:24 PM