none
Replies not showing up RRS feed

• Question

• Seems there's an issue now where if replying to a thread the reply doesn't show up even after clicking My Forum Threads to refresh the page and then expand down arrow. The only way to get it to show now is to close the page altogether and open a new session. This is also true when clicking My Forum Threads the page refreshes and you can see new "Last Reply" to other threads but they don't show when you use expand down arrow. Again only recourse is to close out session and open new one. (this is under MSDN branding, don't know about others)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Monday, May 28, 2012 12:46 AM

Answers

All replies

• Testing this now. Can anyone else repro? Dave, still an issue?

Dave is this the case 100% of the time?

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:07 PM
    Owner
  • Is this specific to using the arrows on the forum page? This is a test.

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:08 PM
    Owner
  • I think I got a repro. This is very specific...

1. In the forum list (don't go to a thread page), click the down arrow for one of the threads, and then reply in line. The answer should appear in line.

2. Now click My Forum Threads on the right.

3. Now click the down arrow for the forum thread that you just replied to. Your latest reply doesn't show up.

NOTES:

- If you go to the thread page to reply, this bug does not trigger.

- So far I repro'd this 1 out of 2.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:12 PM
    Owner
  • Another test...

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:13 PM
    Owner
  • That last time the bug didn't trigger even when I followed my steps.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:14 PM
    Owner
  • I've got a similar bug. You can follow these steps in My Forum Threads and then refresh the My Forum Threads page. The new replies don't show up, even if you made the replies in-line (by clicking the down arrow and replying) on the My Forum Threads page.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:16 PM
    Owner
  • This bug is not unique to "My Forum Threads". It happens with all the in-line replying, even on the forums main pages. So you can follow the opposite steps (replying in My Forum Threads and then opening the Forum main page, clicking the down arrow and seeing if it showed up yet).

It seems that there is an in-line (where you click the down arrows) delay (anywhere from 0 to 3 steps behind) in READING what's currently stored in the thread IF (and only if) that reply was authored in the in-line list.

If you reply on the thread page, then the reply will always appear in the in-line view after you refresh that page (as expected). So there's some sort of read-write bug that is specific to only when you both write and read in the in-line view. This bug is consistent in all three brandings.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:19 PM
    Owner
  • Another test...

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:20 PM
    Owner
  • I think I got a repro. This is very specific...

1. In the forum list (don't go to a thread page), click the down arrow for one of the threads, and then reply in line. The answer should appear in line.

2. Now click My Forum Threads on the right.

3. Now click the down arrow for the forum thread that you just replied to. Your latest reply doesn't show up.

NOTES:

- If you go to the thread page to reply, this bug does not trigger.

- So far I repro'd this 1 out of 2.

Ed, yes this is what I see as well.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:07 AM
  • I've got a similar bug. You can follow these steps in My Forum Threads and then refresh the My Forum Threads page. The new replies don't show up, even if you made the replies in-line (by clicking the down arrow and replying) on the My Forum Threads page.

Again, confirmed that also happens for me 100% of the time.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:08 AM
  • It seems to me the inline does not get updated no matter what unless you close the page / session out and open a new one. It doesn't appear to be a time lag or delay issue either as I leave page up and sleep on it to find next day the inlines still will not update but the "Last Reply" info in header IS always updated.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:13 AM
  • Replying inline as a test.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:17 AM
  • I can also confirm. My reply shows up if I open the thread, but not if I click the down arrow to view inline.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:21 AM
  • I always reply by opening a thread and don't think I ever replied inline.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:27 AM
  • I always reply by opening a thread and don't think I ever replied inline.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

And even if you do reply inline, it's still unlikely you'll find the bug. You basically have to be refreshing the forums list or hopping between the forums list and My Forum Threads list. If you just reply inline then your reply pops up there.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:39 AM
    Owner
  • Regardless, this is a fairly new bug as this has been my SOP for ages.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:26 AM
  • Okay. I submitted this as a bug request to the forums team.

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 12:59 AM
    Owner
  • Ed,

Thank you. Big help for me and the rest who reply inline.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 1:59 AM
  • Update: This bug is a known issue. It was updated with this helpful information. No ETA on a fix.

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 7:24 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Ed. Hope its soon as this bug was introduced fairly recently.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, June 7, 2012 12:44 AM
  • Any update on this?

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Monday, July 16, 2012 12:36 PM