Win 7 upgrade media question. RRS feed

• Question

• I have pre ordered 3 upgrade licenses for win 7. I understand that the upgrade media must see an activated version of Vista or XP before it will allow a 'Custom' install and partition,format etc.
    I have also been informed that when I activate the newly installed Win 7, it cancels my old XP activation and product key.

What happens when I  have to re install after a HD failure. I am told I will have to re install XP and activate it. What 'key' do I use to activate XP??
    How can I? MS has canceled the key that was tied to my XP. Am I screwed ??
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:32 AM

Answers

• Nosmo King,

The previous installation of XP is "incorporated" into the upgrade license for W7, it is not "canceled."

When XP is upgraded to W7, XP cannot be used on another computer as it is part of the W7 upgrade license.  So you could say it's "captured" or "in jail" rather than "canceled."

If you have to do a clean installation, yes, you would have to install and activate XP first.  The XP activation servers will be online for the foreseeable future and they will be able to activate the original XP so that you can put W7 on top of XP.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:59 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:49 PM
  • Hello Nosmo King,

To use an Upgrade, it is required that you have a Qualified copy of Windows to Upgrade from.  A "Qualified" copy of Windows (almost by Definition) would also have to be a Genuine copy of Windows.   That was the requirerment for Upgrading to XP, That was the requirerment for Upgrading to Vista and it's the requirment for upgradeing to Windows 7. The only difference is that Win7 enforces this by requiring, that the Windows being Upgraded, also be Activated. The total time added to the whole reinstall process would be (best case) less then a second, by Activating over the internet, and (worst case) around 5 mins, by Activating by Phone.

You ask " How do you activate XP the second time around when needing to re install." 

You activate XP by the same way you did the first time around.  You install XP using the XP Product Key then follow the 'Activate over the Internet' or 'Activate by Phone' wizard.  

Hope that help clarify the process,
    Darin mS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:58 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:58 PM

All replies

• Nosmo King,

The previous installation of XP is "incorporated" into the upgrade license for W7, it is not "canceled."

When XP is upgraded to W7, XP cannot be used on another computer as it is part of the W7 upgrade license.  So you could say it's "captured" or "in jail" rather than "canceled."

If you have to do a clean installation, yes, you would have to install and activate XP first.  The XP activation servers will be online for the foreseeable future and they will be able to activate the original XP so that you can put W7 on top of XP.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:59 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:49 PM
  • Dan,
    Thank you for your answer.

This question was about re installation of Win 7, on to a blank drive, at a later date. So if I read your reply correctly, on re installation, I boot XP from its disc,install and enter the product 'key' that came with the XP upgrade disc.
    Then I activate online when I get to the desktop.
    Then insert Win 7 upgrade disc and install Win 7 from within the activated copy of xp, entering the Win 7 'key' when prompted.
    When installed, I activate online.

Are you telling me that this will 'work' automatically without 2 phone calls to MS ?

• Edited by Nosmo King Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:14 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:12 PM
  • Hello Nosmo King,

You wrote, "...re install after a HD failure."

That's how Vista works now when the Vista is an upgrade from XP AND you want to install to a new HDD.  You cannot cleanly install a Vista upgrade onto a bare metal hard disk drive, because the Vista upgrade will not start unless it is from within the OS to be upgraded.  This is documented in this article:  http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e77344fa-e978-464c-953e-eba44f0522671033.mspx in one of the yellow box alerts.

From what I read the W7 procedure is going to be identical.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:23 PM
  • I am still confused and annoyed that MS has not answered all this BEFORE offering 'Upgrade Media' and special prices.
    Win 7 installer differs from Vista installer in the fact that Win 7 ( upgrade Media ) installer must see an ACTIVATED previous operating system. This was not the case with Vista. How do you activate XP the second time around when needing to re install.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:17 PM
  • Hello Nosmo King,

To use an Upgrade, it is required that you have a Qualified copy of Windows to Upgrade from.  A "Qualified" copy of Windows (almost by Definition) would also have to be a Genuine copy of Windows.   That was the requirerment for Upgrading to XP, That was the requirerment for Upgrading to Vista and it's the requirment for upgradeing to Windows 7. The only difference is that Win7 enforces this by requiring, that the Windows being Upgraded, also be Activated. The total time added to the whole reinstall process would be (best case) less then a second, by Activating over the internet, and (worst case) around 5 mins, by Activating by Phone.

You ask " How do you activate XP the second time around when needing to re install." 

You activate XP by the same way you did the first time around.  You install XP using the XP Product Key then follow the 'Activate over the Internet' or 'Activate by Phone' wizard.  

Hope that help clarify the process,
    Darin mS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:58 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:58 PM
  • Hello Nosmo King,

Darin mS
    The one part I am still confused about is the second activation of XP. Today I have a legal copy of XP pro.
    Activated,WGA certified, etc,etc. I was told by the MS store that this activation is 'used up' when I activate my first install of Win 7. How can I possibly activate XP a second time with the same 'key' down the road on a re install to a new drive .

Allot of XP users want this answered, and quite frankly it has not been and there is still much confusion around upgrade media.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:39 PM
  • Hi Nosmo King,

I just talked to the person that does allot of the training for your support staff.  

The way he explained it to me is: After the first time you upgrade XP to Windows 7, any time you need to reinstall Windows 7, you will install XP (using the XP Product Key) The XP key will still be valid, but the key will only be able to be Activated by Phone (not over the Internet). I believe that 'No Internet Activation' part is what those 'MS store' people were refering to.

My apologize for my previous statment when I said you would be able to Activate XP over the Internet. That was incorrect. Once you upgraded the first time, any future Activations will only be able to be done by Phone.

If you have any further questions or comments regarding the Install or Upgrade process for Windows 7, I recommend posting them in the "Getting Ready for Windows 7" forum at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/GettingReadyforWindows7/threads

Thank you,
    Darin MS  

Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:36 PM