different passwords RRS feed

• Question

• I'm concerned that the admin password I set up on WHS2011 is the same one that is required for all clients to connect and open the dashboard.  Why was I not prompted to create tiered passwords?  Each user has a password for the shares but these individual passwords do not allow access to the connection process.  Am I asking a stupid question and if not, how would I solve that problem?  If the question is stupid and I'm being over cautious please explain why.  Thanks for the help.
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 6:55 PM

All replies

• The dashboard isn't a tool for daily end-user interaction with the server. That's what the shares and DLNA server are for. The dashboard is an infrequently used administrative interface, to which most users will never need access. So don't share the dashboard password with the world.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 7:06 PM
  • Thank for the reply, Ken.  So, as I was thinking as I was posing my initial query, I should go to each client and run the connection process myself, correct?  That's the only thing that makes any sense now.
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 7:17 PM
  • I guess my last post was not worthy of a reply so perhaps you could give me some ideas as to why I keep getting incomplete client backups and errors indicating that health monitoring of a client computer was unable to make a complete analysis.  Also, when I tried to run a backup on a client it rebooted both the client and the server. Window said it was probably a driver issue on the client but all drivers are updated.  Thank you.
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 4:09 PM