Biggest disk as primary - why? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I've just recieved my invite and I've downloaded the software and documentation. I've been reading the install guide and it states that you should yuse your biggest disk as the primary - can anyone tell me why?

I'm planning on using an 80Gb disk as my install one - then adding my Firewire array later - I just need to find somewhere to dump all the data off those disks first so that I can format them and add them - this will give me a mixture of 120 & 250 Gb Drives - will this cause an issue?

TIA...

Jack

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:39 PM

Answers

• Why use your biggest disk as your primary? Charlie Kindel explains it 4 or 5 posts down in this thread, but basically its due to the way the beta is managing the storage pool.

As for adding your array as individual disks, no there won't be a problem. That's Microsoft's recommended configuration, as a matter of fact. "RAID is not a supported configuration" to quote several folks on the development team. And I understand why they say that; RAID is not nearly as easy to set up as just plugging in another disk.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 7:21 PM