Restore wont boot on New Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

This may have been coverd some place in the past, but I have looked and can't pin point an actual answer, any help in the right direction will be great.

The Problem : RC1 - did a back up last night of the whole system, went fine, Thought I"d test the back up before I needed it.

Dis connected the original drive from the PC today, plugged in a new drive, same make/ size etc, run the recovery from the restore CD,loaded fine from WHS, all appeared to go as planned, BUT when rebooting, I get the typical blue screen of death, that normally happens when you change the board, wrong drivers etc.

Yet its a all the same hardware, with the exception of a new drive. Retried with another drive, same result.

The only way to fix the problem was to do a non distruct reinstall, then it loaded OK, but this is not the idea behind a restore. Any suggestions to fixing the problem.?

Cheers.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 2:43 AM

All replies

• When you originally built the machine, did you need any drivers?

It's possible that the reinstallation didn't provide the necessary drivers.

To see what drivers are required for that particular machine, if you open any of it's back-ups via the Console and expand the list, you will find a folder giving all the driver required for a restore.

Colin

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:10 PM
  • Hi Colin,

The original machine is XP Pro, only drivers it needed was the audio, but this back up procedure worked perfectly with the Beta2 and CTP versions of WHS, so no hardware changes, only change is RC1 of WHS.

Cheers

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:48 PM
  • Could you post the Talq CAB numbers from both client and server, repro steps, and the blue screen error?
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:32 PM
  • Cab Number 353351138

WHS RC1 Build 3790.

There was also another problem later that night with WHS, I don't know if this is related , but the CAB above was sent after this other problem- See this post http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1788471&SiteID=50

I don't have the original backup to the drive any more as the drive was then used on customers PC to back up their data, before reinstalling it, but I will try again and see if I get the same results. Sorry can't supply cab files for the restored drive

To fix the original fault, the back up drive was attached to the PC, the XP Pro CD placed in drive and then a nondistruct reinstall carried out, it located the windows XP OK and all data intact once nondistruct finished. There was a warning saying there had been a hardware change and you must reactivate windows within 3 days, but there had been no hardware change apart from the new Hard Drive that the back up was loaded to.

The Blue screen was the same effect as if the mother board had been changed, windows started to load, then when loading drivers, screen flashed blue with error codes for approx 2 seconds then reboots etc.

It appears that some one else may also be having this problem

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1790141&SiteID=50

Better get back to work, the Boss ( Me) has lots of work / service calls building up.

Cheers.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 10:26 PM
  • Joel,

Further to the first reply answering your request for the CAB number etc. I have now done two more attempts at  restoring, both with the same result. - wont boot when drivers try to load.

I ghosted the original working drive to another, using nortons ghost, and that worked perfectly. I then tried using the original drive to back up to, but that didn't work. The original drive is a IDE drive, and I have tried both IDE and SATA drives but no good.

Question: while I can send you the CAB files from the WHS, how do I send the failed recovery if it wont allow me to boot ? 

If I do a nondistruct reinstall wont that wipe the faults from the drive, which is the only way to get it to boot, or will the problem be logged in the CAB file once its operating correctly. 

I have a failed install that I will keep for a few days until I get some advice.

Cheers.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 9:43 AM