CRM Existing OU changes RRS feed

• Question

• I am hoping someone can please shed some light on a situation for me.

I recently migrated a client's CRM system to a new server. I proceeded by doing a clean install of CRM on the new server and then migrating their previous deployment to it. This was all well and good, however, during the new install I was under the impression that I was to create a new temp OU (TempCRM) to contain the CRM groups (of this new install) and when migrating the previous deployment it would use the groups it was previously using in the old deployment. However, after importing the old deployment I realized that it had used all the new groups in the new OU (TempCRM).

My question is, it's easy enough to change OU names but if I do so on the active production group's OU will it break the system? Is there a special way I should proceed as not to bomb their production CRM deployment?

current tree:    
        myclientdomain.com -> companies -> myclientconame -> CRM -> TempCRM -> (accessgroups)
    what I would like it to be:
        myclientdomain.com -> companies -> myclientconame -> CRM -> Prod CRM -> (accessgroups)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. fyi - system is CRM 4.0 with rollup 4
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 7:50 PM

Answers

• So the good news is that Microsoft CRM 4.0 does not care about where in active directory the groups are unlike 1.0 and 1.2 where the groups had to in the correct location in active directory with the nested structure for security roles. 

You should be able to move these groups to the Prod CRM OU without taking CRM down.  now that being said I woudl do this in a maintenance window.

In your situtation I would just stop IIS and the Async Service on CRM and then move the security groups from the TempCRM OU to the Prod CRM OU. Start the async service and IIS and you should be good to go.  You might wan to move or Delete teh Old prod groups firt to keep AD clean but it will not affect CRM if the old groups are still in there. Jsut makes AD messy when you are looking into things.

Just a note for the future.  If you want to just move CRM servers in the future you can just install a new CRM server using the use exisitng databases and then follow the CRM whitepapers on moving SQL and SSRS with keeping the same AD groups and Database.

Hope that Helps.

- Hoss

"If it ain't broke, Modify It! If it is broke, Time to upgrade!"
    • Marked as answer by attallon Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:16 AM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:40 PM

All replies

• So the good news is that Microsoft CRM 4.0 does not care about where in active directory the groups are unlike 1.0 and 1.2 where the groups had to in the correct location in active directory with the nested structure for security roles. 

You should be able to move these groups to the Prod CRM OU without taking CRM down.  now that being said I woudl do this in a maintenance window.

In your situtation I would just stop IIS and the Async Service on CRM and then move the security groups from the TempCRM OU to the Prod CRM OU. Start the async service and IIS and you should be good to go.  You might wan to move or Delete teh Old prod groups firt to keep AD clean but it will not affect CRM if the old groups are still in there. Jsut makes AD messy when you are looking into things.

Just a note for the future.  If you want to just move CRM servers in the future you can just install a new CRM server using the use exisitng databases and then follow the CRM whitepapers on moving SQL and SSRS with keeping the same AD groups and Database.

Hope that Helps.

- Hoss

"If it ain't broke, Modify It! If it is broke, Time to upgrade!"
    • Marked as answer by attallon Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:16 AM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:40 PM
  • Thanks alot! I will keep that in mind.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:16 AM