Tversity like operation - can WHS transcode on the fly RRS feed

• Question

• With tversity, it can transcode my .avi's and mpeg-4 files to a format recognizable by my DirecTV HD DVRs (I believe it is mpeg 2).  Can WHS do this with it's media sharing ability?
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:46 AM

Answers

• With tversity, it can transcode my .avi's and mpeg-4 files to a format recognizable by my DirecTV HD DVRs (I believe it is mpeg 2).  Can WHS do this with it's media sharing ability?
    No.  WHS doesn't transcode anything.  It only serves media.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:50 AM

All replies

No.  WHS doesn't transcode anything.  It only serves media.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:50 AM
  • WebGuide WHS Add-In has some transcoding capabilities, but it works via a web ui so it's probably not going to help you.
    http://www.asciiexpress.com/webguide/homeserver.aspx
    HP MediaSmart EX475, 2GB ram, 2x512 + 1x120 GB storage. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.paks.no/whs-add-ins/
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:39 AM
  • Can I install tversity on the WHS box and use that solely for video sharing?  Basically turn off the media share portion of WHS and use Tversity instead?

If so, where should I install the tversity software - on the C drive? or the data drive? or a non-data partition?
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:16 PM
  • yes you are able to use Tversity for transcoding, I suggest being careful with this method as I did this not to long ago and tversity screwed up my server, basically it took about 15 minuted to transcode a file and then every few seconds used to buffer. my advice is get a all in one converter that allows you to do a batch of files, do then during the night.
    HMG
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:35 PM
  • I must be missing some codecs or something on the WHS box.... tversity on my Win XP machine functions 100% with my media.  Same files on WHS don't play...

I'll need to explore this deeper, possibly in the Tversity forums...

will post here if I know more.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:14 PM
  • Can I install tversity on the WHS box and use that solely for video sharing?  Basically turn off the media share portion of WHS and use Tversity instead?

If so, where should I install the tversity software - on the C drive? or the data drive? or a non-data partition?

FYI, installing tversity (or any app) that requires installation from the server desktop is unsupported.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:19 AM
  • I did notice that the new HP media app has transcoding capabilities.

Ben
    Ben Ogilvie
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 7:11 PM