still having conflict issues RRS feed

• Question

• i've removed and re-installed mesh, and i'm still getting conflict issues on my folders. i can go through and resolve the conflicts (manually), but they eventually come back.
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:04 PM

Answers

• Got it. From your response, it would appear that the conflicts are basically not going away - ever. You resolve them and they come back, but not instantly.

More questions....

Do you have any foldlers synchronized in your Mesh with the devices and Live Desktop that are not shared with the other users?

And, if the answer is yes, do you also see conflicts on these files/folders?

Do you see the conflicts on all machines in the Mesh? If so, do you resolve them from the same machine all the time or do you address them as they come up on different machines? Have you resolved a conflict on more than one machine for the same file/folder in a very short period?

I think it would be worth submitting logs from all machines in your mesh - 4 sets - to the Live Mesh team via a bug report per the instructions here:

Sticky: How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

You can wait for an answer from the team, or you may want to consider the drastic step of rebuilding the Live Mesh. Note that this is simply my *guess* at how to proceed. Someone else, perhaps from the Live Mesh team, will either tell you a different way to proceed or will have a solution for you based on submitted logs.

- Make sure all folders are backed up.

- Stop synchronizing with all devices for all folders on the Live Desktop.

- Remove all devices from the Mesh

- Optionally, uninvite the other users from your shared folder(s)

- Start adding devices back into the Mesh.

- After all devices are back in the Mesh and folders are synchronizing, hopefully without causing conflicts, invite the other members back in.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 30, 2009 7:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please provide more information to help us troubleshoot.  For example, how many files are showing up as conflicts?  What type(s) of files?  In one folder, or across many?  Can you describe your sync setup (# of different devices, operating systems used, Live Desktop included or not)?  When did the conflicts start first appearing?

Any additional information you can provide may be useful.

Thanks,

Ben.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:00 PM
  • I'll note that if you make changes to the same files on two different devices while they are not connected, you can end up in the situation you are in. If the files you have set to sync are being updated on each PC independently ona regular, frequent basis, you will likely encounter conflicts, too.

-steve

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:16 PM
  • sure. i currently have the following: 

- 5 users (owner), not including myself (creator)

- any one of us would/could be updating the files potentially at the same time, although not very likely at all.

- file types range. we've got a "shared" application ....basically a freeware application for an online game that we all use/reference, powerpoint slides, excel documents, images, etc.

- right now i've got 50 conflicts for one folder. i can resolve all of those, and within 20 minutes, a new set of conflicts comes up. i've been unsuccessful in cleaning them up to date. i basically get a conflict on all the files in the door dir, and all the subfolders each have their own set of conflicts ...and so on.

Friday, January 30, 2009 6:09 PM
  • Are there conflicts shown for all files in the Mesh enabled folders? Are the conflicts repetitious, meaning that you clear them and they (the same conflicts) immediately come back?

Are the other users signed into Live Mesh with the same LiveID as you or are they users added to the Mesh so that their devices are actually logged into their own Live Mesh?

How many devices are in your Live Mesh "ring?"

-steve

Friday, January 30, 2009 6:38 PM
  • no, i've received different conflicts for the separate folders. the conflicts are repetitious,  in that once i've cleared them ...they do all eventually come back. 

each user signing into live mesh, using their own logon. i'm sure they all have multiple devices in their live mesh ring. i have: 

- laptop (work)

- laptop (home)

- desktop1 (home)

- desktop2 (home)

only laptop (work), laptop (home), desktop1 (home), are set to synchronize. desktop2 (home), has been set to do not synchronize.

Friday, January 30, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Got it. From your response, it would appear that the conflicts are basically not going away - ever. You resolve them and they come back, but not instantly.

More questions....

Do you have any foldlers synchronized in your Mesh with the devices and Live Desktop that are not shared with the other users?

And, if the answer is yes, do you also see conflicts on these files/folders?

Do you see the conflicts on all machines in the Mesh? If so, do you resolve them from the same machine all the time or do you address them as they come up on different machines? Have you resolved a conflict on more than one machine for the same file/folder in a very short period?

I think it would be worth submitting logs from all machines in your mesh - 4 sets - to the Live Mesh team via a bug report per the instructions here:

Sticky: How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

You can wait for an answer from the team, or you may want to consider the drastic step of rebuilding the Live Mesh. Note that this is simply my *guess* at how to proceed. Someone else, perhaps from the Live Mesh team, will either tell you a different way to proceed or will have a solution for you based on submitted logs.

- Make sure all folders are backed up.

- Stop synchronizing with all devices for all folders on the Live Desktop.

- Remove all devices from the Mesh

- Optionally, uninvite the other users from your shared folder(s)

- Start adding devices back into the Mesh.

- After all devices are back in the Mesh and folders are synchronizing, hopefully without causing conflicts, invite the other members back in.

-steve
    Friday, January 30, 2009 7:54 PM
  • thanks. i've submitted my logs, just waiting to hear back. i did have a chkdsk event last night, where it had to "recover" quite a few files (from these folder/s). going to give it some time, then i'll add it all back in again, and see what happens.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 3:18 PM
  • Please let us know what transpires. I'm hoping that it gets sorted.
    -steve
    Monday, February 2, 2009 6:28 PM
  • esolson said:

thanks. i've submitted my logs, just waiting to hear back. i did have a chkdsk event last night, where it had to "recover" quite a few files (from these folder/s). going to give it some time, then i'll add it all back in again, and see what happens.

Hi,

Thank you for opening a bug.  If you wouldn't mind also posting the Connect Feedback ID here that will allow others to validate the bug (as well as allow me to track it in order to follow up with you).

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 10:35 PM