Money will not save entries RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have done the patch so that now one of my banking institutions that will still send data directly to Money did so without a problem (I also changed the Explorer option).

I then accepted the data and everything was fine until I closed Money, restarted my computer, reopened Money and the data was gone.

Any ideas on what I'm or Money is doing to cause this?

Thanks

Sunday, May 8, 2016 3:04 AM

All replies

• I assume you are running Windows 10 and have just installed Money.

If your Money data file is in the Money default location C:\Program Files (x86) this is a protected area and programs cannot save changes to data files there. Move your .mny data file to your User\Documents area.

If by "changed the Explorer option" you mean you modified the Windows Registry, undo the modification. It is not necessary and may affect other programs adversely.

Sunday, May 8, 2016 8:31 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I should have given you more information obviously.

I have been using Money since it first launched and then when the Sunset version came out loaded it into a Win 7 machine about six years ago and was happily using it with no problems so no it is not a 'new' install. 

Then, against my better judgement as these upgrades never go right I loaded Win 10, or rather it loaded itself(!), and then problems started in that I would either download data or input data and it would not be retained when I opened the program the next session. 

This started in August of 2015 and I pretty much have abandoned the program and gone to using a spreadsheet but I would really rather use Money which I have felt was a great program.

I finally had the time to change the .dll file as suggested in a blog yesterday and hoped that that would solve the issue.

As far as where Money is saving things I searched ".dll" files on this PC and the most recent file changes were on

8/15/15 a 14,312 KB file saved to "C:\"

Then it is showing:

5/8/2016 14,860 KB file saved to "Vitrual Store(C:\Users\Ronco\AppData\Local"

All the other files that came up from the search are from 2011 or earlier as I have some backups from previous HDD's that go back to 1996!

Also, all of my Money files are in C:\Program Files and not in C:\Program Files (x86), the only folder in that location is my Norton Security Suite that comes with my Internet provicer.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

btw ...I had not considered uninstalling/re-installing and then loading my data from my backup and I only changed the browser option in Money itself.

Sunday, May 8, 2016 5:56 PM
  • Your *.mny and *.mbf must not be in C:\Program Files and not in C:\Program Files (x86) and not in C:\Windows.

If you have your documents folder be OneDrive or other cloud folder, your *.mny file should not be there either. You could make a new folder at, for example, "C:\Users\Ronco\private\" or "C:\Users\Ronco\Mn" and put your *.mny file there. Money writes to the *.mny file each time you do something, so you would not want that mirrored to the cloud. If you did not take the offer of mirroring your Documents folder to the cloud, then Documents, or a subfolder within Documents would be good. I  make the scheduled backup of my Money file go to a USB flash drive, so that if my hard drive crashes, I still have the latest 4 scheduled backups. I do strongly encrypt some things, including recent *.mbf files, and put that encrypted volume in the cloud for easy offsite storage.

To move your *.mny file from the virtual store, close Money. Move the file to the new location. Then open Money by right-clicking the file in the new location, and choosing Open. Money will then remember that location.

Sunday, May 8, 2016 9:05 PM
  • You appear to be running 32-bit Windows 10 on an installation which has been upgraded by Windows versions several times. If so, the installation is a mess which can only be resolved by a clean install of Windows 10.

Use the Media Creation Tool to create up-to-date installation media and be sure to erase all existing system partitions when installing. You may be able to upgrade to 64-bit Windows 10: check what 64-bit drivers there are for your hardware if you meet the minimum system requirements for 64-bit Windows 10.

Be sure to back up all your data and settings before re-installing. You will need installation media for any programs you will be continuing to use. It is possible that some old 32-bit programs will not work in 64-bit Windows 10.

Restore any user data files to C:\Users\<username>\Documents or a sub-directory of that. Do not let programs create data files in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86).

Sunday, May 8, 2016 10:32 PM
  • Thank you for the reply and I am away on business for the next two weeks so I won't have a chance to try your recommendations for a while.

I am assuming from your explanation of what to try next that when I used cloud storage that may have changed where Money was saving and confused it.

Again, I think that your explanation makes great sense and I look forward to trying that asap upon my return.

Will of course update you on what happens and if when trying to implement the recommendations I have problems.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 3:19 AM
  • Thank you as well for your recommendation to reformat to get a clean rather than upgraded install.

Having some Windows background I understand that things get corrupted.

Not sure I  can locate my MS Office CD's so I'm hesitant to do your suggestion at the moment.

I also had a nightmare of a time with W-10 on my ASUS tablet and eventually had to reinstall W-8 and now things are fine so I'm wondering what you think about me just going back to W-7 or W-8.

The other possibility would be to uninstall Money then reinstall it and add the patch .dll file and load my data from my backup and see how that goes.

I am taking your suggestion seriously and appreciate your detailed instructions.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 3:36 AM
  • If you were running Windows 7 your hardware is probably quite old. Drivers for Windows 10 may not be available and Windows 8 or 7 drivers in compatibility mode may not work well. Make your decision after researching.

Once you have found your MS Office CDs (and any other installation CDs) you can create and save ISOs, which can be mounted and unmounted in Windows 8 and 10 (Windows 7 requires software e.g. Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel), with e.g. the free version of BurnAware - there are other free programs do the same.

Product keys can be found in your current installation with Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder if you cannot find the official records.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 12:42 PM