Motherboard Upgrade Question RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question - I'm currently running on a 1 GHz AMD Athlon. I've bought a new mobo and processor for WHS - an AMD Athlon 64 4000+ with an MSI K8T Neo2 motherboard.

I don't want to re-install WHS if I can help it. I'll probably need to generate a new licence key, which isn't a problem, but do you think the upgrade would work if I uninstall all motherboard and processor specific drivers in control panel, change the mobo and processor over, then boot up and install the relevant new mobo drivers?

I have a backup of all my data, except my DVD rips, so can re-install if really necessary.

Saturday, July 7, 2007 2:48 PM

Answers

• Normally it better to do clean install when putting new motherboard with different cpu, as well you will face problem if the disk controller on the new motherboard not the same chipset and a like.

But you can try and update driver as it pop up when finding new hardware and a like.

I tried it before and it did work (not with whs/sbs tho), but with win 2003 server.

As I start first, way better to do clean install.

My best.
    Saturday, July 7, 2007 3:43 PM
  • Well, all appears to be working OK after changing the motherboard this morning. I uninstalled several system drivers before turning off the PC and swapping the motherboard. Both old and new motherboards were Via chipsets, and AMD processors.

When I turned on the WHS with the new Mobo, it wanted me to re-activate - and wouldn't let me log on unless I did - so I tried the telephone activation process as it hadn't loaded the network drivers at this point, and the telephone activation worked flawlessly, I didn't even need to get a new product key.

However, the telephone activation has a problem - in the voice promts it was always referring to this OS as being Windows XP, and not Windows Home Server.

Once activated, I installed the new video card drivers, network drivers and motherboard drivers, enabled the AMD *** 'n' quiet settings, and all appears well, with no data lost.

Even a manual backup of one of my desktop PC's worked without incident.

Sunday, July 8, 2007 2:58 PM

All replies

• Normally it better to do clean install when putting new motherboard with different cpu, as well you will face problem if the disk controller on the new motherboard not the same chipset and a like.

But you can try and update driver as it pop up when finding new hardware and a like.

I tried it before and it did work (not with whs/sbs tho), but with win 2003 server.

As I start first, way better to do clean install.

My best.
    Saturday, July 7, 2007 3:43 PM
  • Thanks, as I've got all my data backed up, it'll do no harm to give it a go - if it works I won't have to spend hours transferring the data back across again!
    Saturday, July 7, 2007 4:40 PM
  • Well, all appears to be working OK after changing the motherboard this morning. I uninstalled several system drivers before turning off the PC and swapping the motherboard. Both old and new motherboards were Via chipsets, and AMD processors.

When I turned on the WHS with the new Mobo, it wanted me to re-activate - and wouldn't let me log on unless I did - so I tried the telephone activation process as it hadn't loaded the network drivers at this point, and the telephone activation worked flawlessly, I didn't even need to get a new product key.

However, the telephone activation has a problem - in the voice promts it was always referring to this OS as being Windows XP, and not Windows Home Server.

Once activated, I installed the new video card drivers, network drivers and motherboard drivers, enabled the AMD *** 'n' quiet settings, and all appears well, with no data lost.

Even a manual backup of one of my desktop PC's worked without incident.

Sunday, July 8, 2007 2:58 PM