Im unable to stitch a hi-res panorama RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there!

I taken cca 1000 photos for 360° horizontal panorama. So I have 300 pictures in each row. Pictures are overlapping on cca 50% in row and also in columns.
    Im shooting on manual setup Olympus E3 with 200mm (equal to 400mm) lenses. Im shooting short side bottom (Olympus ratio is 4:3) Only thing Im able to synth is that:
    https://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=36c3810a-02b4-45a2-b280-588a9cfa0094

If I use structured panorama, the result is much better, but there is problem in my opinion with elevation - Im unable to shoot from hand (and tripod) Im shooting in three rows: first row have 221 pictures, sencond have 235 and third have 250 pictures.

Is there any best practice to shoot gigapixel panoramas? with and without panoramic robohead?

Best regards

Jan Vojtech Vanicek

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 9:03 AM

All replies

• Structured panorama is the recommended workflow for 1000 images, I'm not surprised at the Photosynth you provided for the unstructured case with this many images.

I don't understand what you mean by "problem with elevation"? Note, you can refine the orientation in the Stitch phase. It would be informative to see an image of this.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 4:20 PM
  • By problem with elevation I mean the fact Im shooting by viewfinder marks, so Im sure about that images are overlapping, but only in each row. Between rows it is a problem because how elevation is lower (nearer to water level) Picture count in row is greater.

Since I have 250 pictures for the row on water level, for structured panorama I need 250 images per each row Im shooting, so If Im shooting the sky above me, I need 250 pictures of the same piece of sky (rotated). And that is impossible to do with a viewfinder method.

Possible answer is to buy robohead, or head with printed angles so I can shoot the same number of images per each row...

But in structured panorama mode, I can set the overlapping by percentage - and that percentage is variable in each row. it will be lets say 50% in waterlevel elevation and 100% on the sky above me...

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 4:47 PM