McAfee Security Suite from Cox Cable? RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed Windows Home Server (evaluation copy build 3790 SP2).  I tried to installed Cox McAfee Security Suite, but it fails saying does not support version of windows.  Called McAfee they they sau I need SP4, but I do not see that SP for Windows Home Server.  Any ideas?
    Monday, October 5, 2009 12:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    many applications provided for client operating systems are not supported on servers, since the maker may want to sell the more expensive server version of his product (and there may be also technical reasons, depending from the installed application software).
    On Windows Home Server you should not install any antivirus software, which is not specially designed for Windows Home Server - even if those allow setup sometimes, these can cause troubles with drive extender and its usage of tombstones and folder duplication, as well as with the backup database files. In this case it is better, to install no antivirus software instead of the wrong one.
    Only a few makers (like Avast) offer dedicated versions of their virus scanners for Windows Home Server.
    Complete security suites are increasing the trouble risk, some people got locked away from their headless Windows Home Servers and had to perform a server recovery, also troubleshooting is not as easy for unblocking the necessary firewall ports.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, October 5, 2009 2:02 PM
  • I have attempted to install McAfee three different weekends and spent more hours than I care to disclose only to find the security suite unavailable thru cox and the ping pong action you get with the tech support of both is rediculous. I will absolutly tell you not to install McAfee if you have other options and there are many too many to mention. The two companies need to come up with a cleaner install program and if you have had a prior security program and clean it off to install they will say that is the problem. They are not well supported especially when they promise to call you tomorrow and tomorrow is on Friday and Cox is closed at 5. Nothing can happen til Monday. Happened three times to me.What are the chances of that happening twice to the same install? So imagine how I feel now the third weekend!Not worth the effort.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 3:47 AM