WHS BSOD after a few reboots, cannot repair RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings, first post here :)

Trying WHS trial on newer system:

Gigabyte GA-965p-S3 ver 3.3 (F12 firmware)
    Core2Duo E6600 2.4ghz
    4gb DDR2 667hz (4x1gb)
    EVGA 8600GTS
    Seagate 1.5TB x2  (CC1H firmware)

After getting the OS installed without a hitch, Ive moved files over, made backups of other vista machines, basically what it was designed for. All is well for a couple days.

A few reboots are ok but then it happens.  At first, it gives me an error message that hal.dll is corrupt and needs to be repaired.  I try to put in the trial DVD for a repair, but once it loads all the files and tries to start the installation/repair, it BSODs without a specific error.  I reboot again, and it looks like its about to work, by getting all the way to the WHS loading screen.  It barely fades in from black then flashes a quick BSOD with an acpi error, then reboots itself.  That BSOD only flashes for a split second before rebooting itself.  Then, it is stuck in a cycle.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?  Are the hard drives too large to be used as system drives?  How can i repair the installation without having to re-do the whole shebang (3TB) ?

Thank you for your assistance,

Rock
    • Changed type rock99rock Thursday, January 8, 2009 2:47 AM Kinda fixed
    • Changed type rock99rock Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:44 AM BSOD again
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 2:15 AM

Answers

• That motherboard has, according to the Gigabyte web site, two ports (which are a different color on the motherboard) which support RAID functionality. It's possible that you had the drives connected to those ports.

As for Northbridge vs. Southbridge, the Northbridge is where high speed devices are connected (CPU, memory, graphics slots), and the Southbridge is where all I/O devices are attached. So all your HDD controllers are attached to the Southbridge.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by rock99rock Friday, January 9, 2009 12:25 AM
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 12:33 PM

All replies

• It appears I found a workaround.  I forgot to mention i was using a USB dvd-rom drive for the installation.  I hooked up an old IDE drive and it loaded the proper files automatically while in a black screen during boot, then it went to the loading screen with no problems.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 2:46 AM
  • Ok, it happened again.  I plugged in a 750gb WD HDD when the computer was off, and the WHS installation is corrupt again.  At least i assume its the software.  I unplugged the hard drive, the USB printer, and it still BSOD's "Page fault in non paged area" "USB HOST...."  "ACPI.SYS".... different ones everytime.  PLease help :)
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:47 AM
  • You probably have a hardware issue of some sort. Exactly what that issue is may be very difficult to determine; I would start with hardware diagnostics (memory at a minimum; memtest86 is good for that and free), but in the end I would probably resort to swapping out parts until I hit the right one.

Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:12 AM
  • Well, i swapped the hard drives to different ports on the motherboard and it booted right up.  Im guessing that the HDD have to be in these particular ports as they might be on the NB instead of the SB? As in maybe the system HDD has to be on the NB...  Who knows,  Im just happy :D  Will attempt to add other HDD's now.  Thank you for your reply.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 5:03 AM
  • That motherboard has, according to the Gigabyte web site, two ports (which are a different color on the motherboard) which support RAID functionality. It's possible that you had the drives connected to those ports.

As for Northbridge vs. Southbridge, the Northbridge is where high speed devices are connected (CPU, memory, graphics slots), and the Southbridge is where all I/O devices are attached. So all your HDD controllers are attached to the Southbridge.
    • Marked as answer by rock99rock Friday, January 9, 2009 12:25 AM
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 12:33 PM
  • You are correctumondo!  They were on the separate colored ports.  Odd how they worked sometimes, and sometimes didnt.  I thought the NB had one controller and the SB had the other?  Either way, thank you very much for your assistance!   I do have another question, however i will create another post or search before i do :)

Rock
    Friday, January 9, 2009 12:25 AM
  • If I had to guess, I'd say that the "giga raid" that the manufacturer touts is a JMicron controller, which I've had extremely poor luck with in general...
    Friday, January 9, 2009 1:37 AM