OneCare Firewall Not Recognized By Network And Sharing Center RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I'm about ready to ditch OneCare and demand a refund. How OneCare can't use the Windows Firewall and Defender insteaod of their own versions, I don't know.

Since I'm using OneCare, my Network and Sharing Center doesn't recognize the OneCare firewall, so its prompting me to turn on the Windows Firewall so its secure. This is pretty annoying, almost as annoying as the COMPUTER OC network icon that shows up.
    Monday, April 28, 2008 5:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• OK - was there a new OneCare update pushed out recently. After my tune-up last night there was a fancy new report waiting for me this morning.

And this networking issue with the firewall just recently started.
    Monday, April 28, 2008 11:47 AM
  • This problem is likely caused by a corrupted WMI database, which is used by Windows Security Center to identify the protection on your PC.

Windows Security Center fix - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2469173&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, April 28, 2008 2:13 PM
  • wow wmi database corrupted on all three of my machines running OneCare? How ironic.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:53 AM
  • So how often does this happen and how often do I have to delete the repository - its pretty inconvenient. I payed enough for Windows and then I paid more money for MS to secure the OS that I just paid for. So I would rather not have to waste my time deleting the repository pell mell.

And again, how did it happen on 3 different machines at the same time?
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 1:01 AM
  • I've never seen it hit 3 machines at once. Did it happen after a recent update? Are these newly installed OneCare machines and, if so, were they all running a different security product previously?

It should rarely or never happen. However, it does, unfortunately happen occasionally. If it happens again on *any* of your machines, I'd start poking around for another cause. I've never personally encountered it on dozens of machines with OneCare installed or various versions over the past year or so.

-steve

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 1:07 AM
  • An update went out because after the last tuneup last night, there was a fancy report waiting for me that has never been there before..

Deleting the repository didn't work. I'm still getting the warning in my Networking and Sharing Center.

I'm shocked an appalled that MS can't get its own software working correctly with their own OS.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 1:19 AM
  • There has been no recent update to OneCare. What version do you show in Help/About of OneCare?

There are multiple ways to address the WMI database corruption issue, if that is the cause of your problem. At this point, I recommend that you consider contacting OneCare support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:13 PM
  • I should add that the fancy report you saw is probably the Monthly Report. Open OneCare, click on View Latest Monthly Report under Quick Links on the left. If you never want to see this report automatically, click on Change Settings and uncheck the option to display the monthly report automatically on the Logging tab.

-steve

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:17 PM
  • Stephen, you are a credit to this board. Thank you for your patience and your help. I'm going to go through this one more time before I give up on OneCare.

Thanks so much.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:34 PM
  • Thanks for the kind words. I'll understand if you choose to give up, but keep in mind that you are welcome to continue posting here as we try to figure out the problem together or you can go right to support for help.

-steve

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:27 AM