MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE I/O DEVICE ERROR RRS feed

• Question

• I TRIED TO CHANGE TO FILE TYPE THAT LIVE ONE CARE RECOMMENDED. I PROBABLY DID SOMETHING WRONG. NOW I CAN NOT EVEN USE MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE. IT IS A MEXTOR 300 GIG. THE PROMPT SAYS. F:\ IS NOT ACCESSIBLE BECAUSE OF AN I/O DEVICE ERROR. CAN I GO BACK TO HOW I HAD IT, I NEED MY FILES! THIS WHOLE LIVE CARE HAS JUST BEEN A WASTE OF TIME. THANKS OUT THERE FOR ANY HELP.
    Thursday, October 4, 2007 5:13 AM

Answers

• I am assuming that you attempted to change the file system to NTFS. If that process failed, you may need to format the drive, but all data on that drive will be lost. If the conversion failed, it is probably already lost.

The first thing I would do is unplug the drive from the computer's USB port and plug it back in, perhaps on a different port. See if you can access it. If not, open Control Panel, go to Administrative Tools/Computer Management, Storage, Disk Management and look for the external drive. Assuming it is shown, right click on the drive and select properties, then the tools tab and check disk for errors.

You can also choose to format the partition from here. Right click the drive and select format. Follow the prompts to format the disk.

You can also contact OneCare support for help - if you are using the OneCare 2.0 beta:

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 -use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

Support for v1.6 is via the information here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1183038&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, October 4, 2007 5:31 PM

All replies

• I am assuming that you attempted to change the file system to NTFS. If that process failed, you may need to format the drive, but all data on that drive will be lost. If the conversion failed, it is probably already lost.

The first thing I would do is unplug the drive from the computer's USB port and plug it back in, perhaps on a different port. See if you can access it. If not, open Control Panel, go to Administrative Tools/Computer Management, Storage, Disk Management and look for the external drive. Assuming it is shown, right click on the drive and select properties, then the tools tab and check disk for errors.

You can also choose to format the partition from here. Right click the drive and select format. Follow the prompts to format the disk.

You can also contact OneCare support for help - if you are using the OneCare 2.0 beta:

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 -use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

Support for v1.6 is via the information here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1183038&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, October 4, 2007 5:31 PM
  • hello thanks for the reply. yes i was intending to use it for the backup feature.

yes i was trying to change it fron 32fat to ntfs as recomended, microsoft said it would not harm my files.

now i tried what you said. the disk managment says disk is healthy 233 gigs , but there  is no file type, that is blank.

if i take my hard drive to a repair shop, is there a chance some pros can retrieve my files? if i go to format i will lose all.

does healthy mean my files are still there?

Thursday, October 4, 2007 8:15 PM
  • Healthy means that it isn't in a failed condition, though I can't tell you if your files are still there or not. Since it is an external drive, you have nothing to lose if you can go to a local computer shop. They should not charge you to plug it in and look at it, though beyond that they will charge you for sure if they try anything in the way of repair or recovery.

Normally, a conversion does not cause data loss, but something appears to have happened in your case.

Did you try to access the drive in Windows Explorer after reconnecting it?

-steve

Friday, October 5, 2007 1:37 AM
  • ok

i am accepting that my external files are gone!!! Sad

other issue.

my network printer will not print from this pc. it will print from my other pc that does not have Windows One Live care installed. that is good i only tried this windows live no care on one computer.

what can i check, please. and thanks

Saturday, October 6, 2007 10:46 PM
  • Can you tell us more about the printer? Is it shared from another PC or is it a true network printer?

-steve

Monday, October 8, 2007 2:03 AM