Is there a disk shutoff policy ? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to configure WHS(or a default policy) to turn off disks when there is no activity ??? I used to use FreeNAS before and it had a way to set the hard drive standby time to minimize power consumption as can be seen here(look at the Disks:Edit image). Is there something similar in WHS ? Also I noticed that my BIOS has some similar settings. Can I enable the HDD shutdown in BIOS so that it is transparent to WHS ???

• Edited by dear chap Monday, December 29, 2008 3:24 PM Edited link
    Monday, December 29, 2008 3:23 PM

Answers

• I have changed my Power Settings in Control Panel to turn off the hard disks after 30 minutes of inactivity. So far I have not see any problems. I did this over a month ago.
    • Marked as answer by dear chap Tuesday, December 30, 2008 2:50 PM
    Monday, December 29, 2008 11:08 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    as far as I know - no. The power settings in control panel would be able to control this behavior from the Windows side. The problem is, that the WHS components assume the disks are spinning always (default setting for Windows Server) and responding quick to any request without any spin up delay - so if you play with these settings, there is a good risk, that you get disk health alerts at least, if not more bad side effects.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 29, 2008 4:12 PM
  • I have changed my Power Settings in Control Panel to turn off the hard disks after 30 minutes of inactivity. So far I have not see any problems. I did this over a month ago.
    • Marked as answer by dear chap Tuesday, December 30, 2008 2:50 PM
    Monday, December 29, 2008 11:08 PM