CRM Installation steps RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
       I am doing installing CRM 2011 installation.For database i am planing to use SQL 2008 standard R2. i have created an user "CRMAdmin" can i use crmadmin account to install SQL and CRM in the particular filed that i have mentioned here.

Cheers : Jeriesh

• Edited by Jeriesh Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:57 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:32 PM

Answers

• If your CRMAdmin account was created with adequate domain privileges to install CRM and also SQL Server then Yes.  CRM doesn't really care how SQL Server is installed as long as the account you use to install CRM has adequate privileges to create the databases and things.

For installing CRM I usually recommend using a domain admin account since it needs to create active directory groups and things.

So in short, you can can use the same account for both, and I recommend that account have SA access in SQL Server and domain admin in Active Directory.

I hope this helps!

Jamie Miley
    Check out my about.me profile!
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    • Proposed as answer by Jamie MileyModerator Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jeriesh Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:23 AM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:57 PM
  • The warning is just for informational purposes that using the same account is not best practices for security purposes. It's better to use different accounts in order to minimize the chance that if your crmadmin account is compromised, other parts of the application would also be vulnerable. You can ignore the warning and proceed with the installation if you determine that the security risk is acceptable.
    Matt Wittemann CRM MVP C5Insight.com
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:50 PM

All replies

• If your CRMAdmin account was created with adequate domain privileges to install CRM and also SQL Server then Yes.  CRM doesn't really care how SQL Server is installed as long as the account you use to install CRM has adequate privileges to create the databases and things.

For installing CRM I usually recommend using a domain admin account since it needs to create active directory groups and things.

So in short, you can can use the same account for both, and I recommend that account have SA access in SQL Server and domain admin in Active Directory.

I hope this helps!

Jamie Miley
    Check out my about.me profile!
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    • Proposed as answer by Jamie MileyModerator Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:35 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Hi Jamie,

Thanks a lot.

For sand box processing can use the crmadmin or do i need to create a dedicated account.Because it is giving warning message if i use the same account for sand box processing.Will it cause any impact in the functionality of crm.

Cheers : Jeriesh
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:31 PM
  • The warning is just for informational purposes that using the same account is not best practices for security purposes. It's better to use different accounts in order to minimize the chance that if your crmadmin account is compromised, other parts of the application would also be vulnerable. You can ignore the warning and proceed with the installation if you determine that the security risk is acceptable.
    Matt Wittemann CRM MVP C5Insight.com
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:50 PM