Burns 1 or 2 disks, rejects the next RRS feed

• Question

• Last night I tried the famous "Backup" feature of Live OnLine. It would completely burn a disk or two, then when I inserted the next disk, it gave me a msg it couldn't burn that disk, it may be "corrupt," maybe try another brand. It automatically cancels the Backup program and says I have to run it over again, completely from scratch, shows a list of files it didn't copy, and says the reason was Backup was "canceled"--yeah, by Live OneCare, not by me!!!  I was running back and forth to the store in the wee hours, getting sleep deprived, buying other brands. I finally said, you know, the HECK with this stupid thing. I'm never using it. Let it turn pink, red. I don't care. It DOESN'T WORK.

Some day, if I develop the patience of Job, maybe I will try it a dozen more times, erasing and reusing my CD-RW disks, and see if Live OneCare can ever get itself up to disk #3. Otherwise, seems useless. I do know it burned the first 2 disks, that it was working. When I install a blank disk, Windows has a pop-up box that asks me what I want to do with it, burn it using Real, or what?  When I click that, a huge Real Audio thing comes up. I just canceled that, and Live OneCare seemed to burn the disks anyway, but it can't handle more than 2 disks apparently, sometimes only one.

Thanks,

M. Spencer

Friday, June 13, 2008 10:37 PM

Answers

• Please contact support for help with this problem. I suspect that your Real Audio program may be conflicting with the OneCare backup functionality. Note also that RW discs can be problematic for OneCare, especially if they have been erased, so using CDR is usually recommended.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

You can also disable backup in OneCare until you choose to deal with the problem and it will not cause your status to be yellow or red.

To disable backup:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

-steve

Saturday, June 14, 2008 12:18 AM

All replies

• Please contact support for help with this problem. I suspect that your Real Audio program may be conflicting with the OneCare backup functionality. Note also that RW discs can be problematic for OneCare, especially if they have been erased, so using CDR is usually recommended.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

You can also disable backup in OneCare until you choose to deal with the problem and it will not cause your status to be yellow or red.

To disable backup:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

-steve

Saturday, June 14, 2008 12:18 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.  I went to Best Buy today and talked to a tech in the "Geek Squad." Got their online backup program. He said Live OneCare would recognize that I backed up using that.

I just downloaded SP3, as per OneCare prompts, yellow icon, to check for updates.  Said it would take 25 minutes but took almost 2 hours--a very, very long, slow update, but in the end I'm sure worth it.  Now on start-up my OneCare icon turns red, says Firewall is turned off. Then it disappears entirely and eventually comes back up GREEN, without me doing anything. It's whatever SP3 is doing to it.

I'm sure I had SP2 before, but I do not see any such program in my Add/Remove files list, only SP3. So I didn't uninstall SP2.

M. Spencer

Saturday, June 14, 2008 3:16 AM
  • If OneCare turns green on its own after a bit, it sounds like there is a problem at startup that is preventing OneCare from turning on the firewall protection or you may be getting a warning from the Windows Security Center, not OneCare, until OneCare communicates its status to the Windows Security Center. Security Center icon in the System tray for this would be a red shield. In either case, it may eventually resolve itself and is probably caused by a resource issue at startup. With SP3 installed, the startup order of some items may have changed. Personally, I'd live with it, as long as OneCare does come up green.

s-teve

Monday, June 16, 2008 6:27 PM