Legit licence code? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

New here, so not sure if this is the correct place to ask this.

I have purchased a licence key from a dreaded Ebay seller, and I think it's a MSDN key and not a Retail key as it was sold as. How can I check, is there a number I can call?

Hope someone can help,

Thanks

S

Thursday, May 29, 2014 7:51 PM

Answers

• The 069 CID code you quote is from an MSDN/TechNet/BizSpark subscription account - if you are not the account holder then it is invalid, whatever technical tests may say.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

• Marked as answer by styoda Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:54 PM
    Friday, May 30, 2014 11:47 AM
  • An Ebay OS purchase is almost always problematic.  If you purchased only a Product Key, then it is 99.99% fraudulent.  If you have purchased an OS Installation DVD and have it installed, then follow the directions below:

MGA Diagnostic Report:

To properly analyze and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the diagnostic report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )

Once downloaded, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, after a short time, the Continue button will change to a Copy button.
    Click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your post.
    One Issue Per Thread:

Most Activation and Validation issues look the same, on the surface, but can have many different causes and fixes. This is why we ask for a diagnostic report and this is also why we ask that you create your own thread for your issue (in other words, don't post your issue in another person's thread). 

It just becomes too complicated to try to troubleshoot multiple different issues in the same thread.

New to the Forums?

Note that if you are new to these forums, you may find that you are unable to post due to a restriction on the inclusion of links and pictures.
    Simply delete the only lines that contain links -  this will allow the remainder of the report to upload (and those lines are not generally critical to the report anyhow)

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:45 PM

All replies

• An Ebay OS purchase is almost always problematic.  If you purchased only a Product Key, then it is 99.99% fraudulent.  If you have purchased an OS Installation DVD and have it installed, then follow the directions below:

MGA Diagnostic Report:

To properly analyze and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the diagnostic report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )

Once downloaded, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, after a short time, the Continue button will change to a Copy button.
    Click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your post.
    One Issue Per Thread:

Most Activation and Validation issues look the same, on the surface, but can have many different causes and fixes. This is why we ask for a diagnostic report and this is also why we ask that you create your own thread for your issue (in other words, don't post your issue in another person's thread). 

It just becomes too complicated to try to troubleshoot multiple different issues in the same thread.

New to the Forums?

Note that if you are new to these forums, you may find that you are unable to post due to a restriction on the inclusion of links and pictures.
    Simply delete the only lines that contain links -  this will allow the remainder of the report to upload (and those lines are not generally critical to the report anyhow)

Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:45 PM
  • Unfortunately I just got the Product Key.

Ebay are doing nothing, not even a refund.

Does anyone know of there is a phone number for Microsoft I could call to check the licence key?

Thanks

S

Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:10 PM
  • I would file for a refund with the seller as they sold you an illegal key - they know what they are doing.  You cannot just purchase a Product Key unless you go directly through Microsoft System Upgrade channels.  If you paid via PayPal, file to reverse the payment as a "Not as Advertised" claim immediately under the grounds that they claimed (or implied) it was valid in the auction.  What are the last 5 characters in the Product Key?  It may be possible to identify it as a known hacked key that way.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:29 PM

Does anyone know of there is a phone number for Microsoft I could call to check the licence key?

Thanks

S

Standalone product keys sold on eBay are usually 100% pirated or counterfeit....sorry!

Carey Frisch

Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:36 PM

Thanks

S

There is nothing Microsoft can do.  You'll need to deal directly with the eBay seller.

Carey Frisch

Friday, May 30, 2014 6:13 AM
  • The last 5 characters of the licence key is XXPV7‏, if this helps.

From what I've found on the Internet it seems like the licence key is for a MSDN subscription. The middle 3 numbers of the Product ID is 069, which is not  the Retail version, am I correct?

thanks

Friday, May 30, 2014 10:01 AM
  • The 069 CID code you quote is from an MSDN/TechNet/BizSpark subscription account - if you are not the account holder then it is invalid, whatever technical tests may say.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

• Marked as answer by styoda Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:54 PM
    Friday, May 30, 2014 11:47 AM