Home Applications RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I wonder, if it could make sense, to add an application package to the home server so that it runs also as an application server. This could be special versions of the MS Office products (maybe even the 2003 versions) or some stuff like a set of predesigned databases based on SQL Server 2005 Express targeted to the home market, even simple things like Works, Money, Automap, the other Express products, E-Books etc. come into my mind.

This could add value to the system in the eyes of the customer (or give the marketing chance for a Windows Home Server Ultimate edition).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, February 26, 2007 10:26 AM

All replies

• That's an interesting idea, but is that really something that your average home user would use?
    Monday, February 26, 2007 10:58 AM
  •  BasP wrote:
    That's an interesting idea, but is that really something that your average home user would use?

the question is the same which we could ask regarding all the mediacenter stuff. What does an average user want and what for he wants to use an PC? If he has stuff which he thinks is so important that he needs to buy a home server, applications which are directly interacting with and from this home server would be welcome in several cases.

Lets say there is one central point to install the application and give it free to desktops either for installation or for direct use. The last would give the possibility to use applications with higher hardware requirements also from an low end home PC with small disk space and memory. Also it would give a better feeling about correct licensing, if the home server would include a "family" or "home" license (One Care home license anyone?).

And its definitively different to allow the child to use a Word which is based on Home Server than have it sit on dads PC (the only PC with MS Office) and demolish the one or other item. This could also increase acceptance for the Office Live applications.

Homeserver should not be thought to narrow. It should be made to an "Want to have" product with a great appeal to all kinds of users of Microsoft products.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, February 26, 2007 11:39 AM
  •  Olaf Engelke wrote:

Homeserver should not be thought to narrow. It should be made to an "Want to have" product with a great appeal to all kinds of users of Microsoft products.

While I understand the desire you have for WHS to do a lot of stuff, I think Charlie Kindel (Product Manager for WHS) has already addressed much of this in a general way over on the WHS team blog. It's interesting reading; I highly recommend it to anyone (including me, because I'd like to see a mail server and a couple of other things just as much as you) who says "Why doesn't WHS do foo?"
    Monday, February 26, 2007 4:46 PM
  • It would definately be a Plus... I have office 2007 on my PC and my wife has 2000 on hers, I want to share outlook Calendars with the family that I make w/office 2007 but they need to be able to be edited or synced by all so we can both enter our respective dates into the calendar for all to see, so this would be a great feature I would love to see an application server
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 9:06 PM
  • Hi,

I have already installed a SQL 2000 server on the WHS, plus a TeamSpeak Server and a community blog and forums.

As WHS is a windows 2003 server, you can virtually had a lot of things.

I already made a little change to the main landing page (I change the picture).

Thursday, March 1, 2007 9:18 PM
  • A warning: any software you install should access storage on the primary drive's data partition (D:) only through network shares. Doing otherwise may cause problems with Drive Extender, the technology that deals with duplication and managing your storage pool. An alternative, if you can't use a network share, might be to add a drive to the WHS machine but not add it to the storage pool. It would be available as a drive letter (E: for example) but would not be available to network share users.
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 10:53 PM