I am using Money Plus. Investment lookup file access RRS feed

• Question

• The investment price update process uses a lookup file to select the investment to update prices on. This file must included data on the type of investment the lookup points to. I entered some erroneous data to a particular file and now cannot remove it. If I make any reference to the investemnt name it thinks that it is a US bond when it is a Canadian bond. They work differently, the US bond not having an acrrued interest box an not allowing the principle to be changed once entered wher the Bond\Other form does have these items. I cannot enter the investment name without Money presetting the form to US Bond rather than Bond\Other. I havre tried deleting the transaction but that does not delete the entry in the lookup file wherever that is. I would think it should be in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\" but this directory does not exist in my machine. 

What am I doing wrong.

Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:03 AM

All replies

• I have no idea what you are talking about, nor whether looking in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\ will solve your problem.  But I do know how to find that folder on your computer.  For some perverse reason, MS has designated that folder as a systems folder.  So to find it you must go in Windows Explorer to Tools > Folder Options > View > Files and Folders and UNCHECK the box that says Hide Protected Files and Folders (Recommended).  Ignore the warning messages.  You can now find the MNYCoreFiles folder and its contents.  Be sure to recheck the Hide Protected Files and Folders box when you are finished.

• Edited by bobjbkln Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:58 AM
    Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:57 AM
  • The way to delete an investment is not to edit a file, but to do an operation in Money.

Bond prices and other aspect for publicly traded bonds in Microsoft Money, as you have found, are very different from other investments.

There will be a solution. You will want to treat this maybe as a CD (certificate of deposit) or a Mutual Fund. The answers to the above questions will determine how we will go about this. If you just have a price and want to declare interest, Mutual Fund may be simplest, strangely enough.

Let's say you decide to make it a Mutual Fund:

In the details, remove the existing symbol, and rename the existing
    "bond" to something you will never use.  Let's suppose you
    choose zzzz.

Create a new Fund with the correct name and symbol.

Go back to investment zzzz and choose InvestmentActivities.
    Enter a fake new Buy dated before all other transactions with
    quantity more than the total of other "bond" transactions.

Change each non-fake transaction to the fund using the drop-down
    list.  Start with the oldest transaction.

Keep going until there are no more zzzz transactions remaining
    except the fake transaction.  Delete the fake Buy transaction.  At
    that point you can "delete" zzzz

Saturday, February 15, 2014 4:23 AM