My problem going from Money 98 to Money Sunset RRS feed

• Question

• My old computer (laptop-XP) is still working and I got a new and wonderful one piece desktop for Xmas (Windows 7-64) and need to put money on new computer. I am running Money 98 on laptop, with 18yrs banking etc. I have been reading your advice on this page on how to update data (98-99) to money 2005 by downloading the trial version to my laptop. If I do the download and the 2005 converts the 98 data OK,   can I then download the Money Sunset version to my "new" computer and when asked where to find the *.mny file just have it on a  flash drive and direct the date be downloaded from there? OR will I have to get a hold of a compatible version of Money for Windows 7 and load it on the new computer first and then download Money Sunset over that?     Either way I need to do what is necessary to keep going with Money..kind of a beginner with this type of thing...sorry and thanks 
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 2:49 AM

All replies

• So, here are the steps I think you are describing, with comments, in order:

1) Install the M05 trial on your old machine. IF (I'm not sure whether the cutoff for the upgrades from as far back as M98 was M04 or M05) this will upgrade your M98 file then: This installation should sense your M98 install and offer to upgrade your data file. I'd probably tell it that you don't want to upgrade, then create a new file, then do a Money Internet Update to get the M05 patches installed. I say this be cause the original shipping M05 was REALLY FLAKY. That having been said, the trial download may already be updated with the M05 patch (the first M05 was THAT bad). IF you install the M05 trial, look in Help|About and find a version that doesn't end in .1105, then it is NOT the patched version.

2) Then use the updated M05 to open your M98 data file. It will go through the upgrade process, creating an .MN8 (if I just figured it out right) file that is just your M98 version .MNY file renamed and a new, M05 version, .MNY file.

3) Download and install Money Sunset on your new machine.

4) Copy the .MNY file from step 2 to the new machine. Put it in your Documents folder. DO NOT put it in the Money install folder (c:\program files\...).

5) Double click on the .MNY file you just put in your Documents folder. Money Plus Sunset should take matters from there with another file version upgrade and so forth.

General comment: In general, this SHOULD work. In specific, you are taking a data file that has a LOT of use/time on it and trying to jump a LOT of versions all at once. There are probably lots of ways this could go wrong or run into problems. I would be very careful to CROSS-CHECK and VALIDATE operability, balances, transaction integrity and so forth in the M+ end result before abandoning the old file/machine/version. Run through your workflows. Balance a month of statements. Try lots of reports for all accounts/all transactions. And so on.

Becasue this is such a leap, I'd consider installing the M05 for the intermediate upgrade on the NEW MACHINE and leave the old machine as much alone as possible. This preserves your fallback plan. Just in case, make several copies of your data file before the intermediate steps and during the intermediate steps. (On the new machine, the M+ Sunset installation should even offer to uninstall the M05, IIRC.)

All that having been said, I'd reccomend you do attempt this. I think you are better off in the long haul on M+ Sunset if you can get there. Lots of things will need work--for instance, the scheduled bills model changed a lot between M98 and M+. But the result will be worth it.

Please post back with a Trip Report and any issues.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 3:20 AM
  • Here's the link to the Microsoft Support item that deals with the intermediate steps necessary to get from M98 to M06--and M+ Sunset for that matter: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913108.

Because there is no telling how long this data will be around before it is "disappeared", I'd recommend grabbing a copy now while it's still there. I did.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:42 PM
  • Here's the link to the Microsoft Support item that deals with the intermediate steps necessary to get from M98 to M06--and M+ Sunset for that matter: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913108.

Because there is no telling how long this data will be around before it is "disappeared", I'd recommend grabbing a copy now while it's still there. I did.

You might get the similar Money 2004 trial M12USWEB.exe package via http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919524/en-us  while you are at it.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:26 PM
  • MSKB 913108 also lists/links to the M12 trial as a workaround in cases where the M05 minimal package can't deal with your data file. The (minor) drawback to the M12 trial is that you have to temporarily set the date on your machine back to 2004 or it won't run.
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:41 PM
  • Similarly, I think hou need to set the M14 trial back to 2005 for it to run. The write-ups recommend setting the date to the last day of the year. I would set the date earlier. It probably doesn't actually matter, unless your work  causes you to work past where the day rolls over.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:49 PM
  • I have been at this for the past 5 hours and have gone no where. Tried the suggested method from Carl....Install 05 on new computer and try to convert mny file from old laptop....I put old file (.mny) into documents file on new computer....every time I try to open (or restore backup) it I keep getting the message that can't open ----------need to be admn (I am)-----corrupt file---- etc. I have uninstalled and reinstalled 5 times...I keep getting a .1105 version of money 05 with all the downloads (where would i get newer ver.?)

Also, the program keeps saying it is downloading additional softwear so this file can run (because of .1105 ver.?) but I never get notice it is done loading.....what is the M14 trial set back referring to....and how do I set the date back? and when can I change it back to correct date?    I did not set it back for the 05 trial ver, should i have?

Thanks for all the help but I'm not good at this and I'm feeling lost....Sharon BUT I will keep trying ;-)

Thursday, December 30, 2010 11:38 PM
  • I only understand part of your posting. However I can help you with the changing the date on the computer. Double-click the clock on your computer's task bar... usually in the lower right of your machine. Look for where you can click to change the date. I would change the date to maybe Dec 1 in the appropiate year rather than December 31.

Version 14.0.*.1105 is the newest Money 2005.  

If you are having trouble using the Money 2005 method, consider the Money 2004 method. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919524/en-us Look for "Download the M12USWEB.exe package now" (money 2004 trial) This method should work for your Money 98 file, and is not limited to Money 2002 and above.

Before installing the Money 2004 trial onto the new computer, uninstall Money 2005 on the new computer.  Replace the copy of your *.mny file on the new computer with a fresh copy of the Money 98 from the old computer. The reason for that is that the file you copied before might have already have been modified by your Money 2005 efforts.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 11:57 PM
  • One more thing.... before giving up on Money 2005 trial method if you are using Windows 7, you could right click the Money 2005 launch icon, and select RunAsAdministrator. Even if you are an administrator, that has a distinction in Windows 7.
    Friday, December 31, 2010 12:04 AM
  • YES, Yes, YEs....did it, got the 2005 to run on the new computer and recognize my mny file!!!!!! Had to change the clock back to 2004 date. I've looked at the info and it all "seems" to be there , ran reports etc. Now the only thing that I'm not sure of is the investment sections, because you can't set it to a date in the future to look at them, so you can't see if info is there from 2004 on..... but if you look in net worth with current date the $ numbers do match old money program values.   I'm soooo happy...thanks much!

Is my next step to install the Money Sunset program? Which one, there are two? Will I have to remove anything or will the Sunset take care of it all? Should I do a backup of the 2005 .mny files before I do the install of Sunset? When can I change my clock back to real date?

Friday, December 31, 2010 12:54 AM
  • We can probably sort these out if we take them on one-by-one.

Just to make sure I was on reasonably solid ground, I just installed the M05 MinInst version in a WindowsXP Virtual Machine.

I did that install as an administrator. You may have to do the same.

Once I got it installed, I just started M05 and let it go through the path to create a new file. I told it I didn't want to accept the PAssport, my bank wasn't listed, and created one checking account. Somewhere in there it did pop up something about downloading more files but it let me continue while this was going on. Near as I can tell all it downloaded was the "Obituary" notice that all recent versions of Money have been displaying recently.

Before attempting to mess with you existing data file, I'd suggest you try to get that far just so we can confirm you have a working installation of M05. Please report exact text of any errors.

Friday, December 31, 2010 1:16 AM
  • YES, Yes, YEs....did it, got the 2005 to run on the new computer and recognize my mny file!!!!!! Had to change the clock back to 2004 date. I've looked at the info and it all "seems" to be there , ran reports etc. Now the only thing that I'm not sure of is the investment sections, because you can't set it to a date in the future to look at them, so you can't see if info is there from 2004 on..... but if you look in net worth with current date the $ numbers do match old money program values.   I'm soooo happy...thanks much!

Is my next step to install the Money Sunset program? Which one, there are two? Will I have to remove anything or will the Sunset take care of it all? Should I do a backup of the 2005 .mny files before I do the install of Sunset? When can I change my clock back to real date?

Good deal!

Since you still have the old computer, you don't need an extra backup at this point. You can change your clock now. Your next step is to download and install Sunset. You probably want the Money Plus Deluxe Sunset version. The Business version adds invoicing primarily.

After getting that installed and get the new program working well, I would set up the backup settings in Money Plus Deluxe Sunset.

In M+: Tools->Settings->BackupSettings
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup my Money file every time I close Money
      Save in [a place on your hard drive ]. It is best to Browse to
         a location rather than typing the path.
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _20_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

x Perform scheduled backups every _28_ days
      Save in [a USB flash drive location]
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _2_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

Then periodically, perhaps each month or three, copy your latest
    backup (uniquely named by Money) to a CDR. Keep the CDR in your safe deposit box.

To get quotes and maybe OFX downloads, you could search for PocketSense.

Friday, December 31, 2010 1:20 AM