Firewall Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am having a problem with my OneCare not activating and getting a windows security alert stating that my firewall is disabled. I have contacted customer support and followed their direction and have sent the files required to diagnosis my issue. Here are the directions from Customer Support. Additionally, when I performed Step 1, I could not start the OneCare Firewall. I have not received a response from Jimmy Shi and wondering if I can get assitance from this forum.

Everything I have read looks like I need to unistall then reinstall OneCare??? Is this correct?

This issue can be caused by the following factors:

1. The OneCare services do not work properly

2. The incorrect permission of OneCare Database folder

3. A damaged or corrupted MSXML or Microsoft .NET Framework component

To troubleshoot the issue, let’s try the following steps:

Step 1: Restart the OneCare related Services

==================================

1. Click Start, click Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) and click OK.
    2. Double click the service "Terminal Services".
    3. Click on the "General" tab; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic". Then click "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

4. Please repeat the above steps with the following services: 

Windows Live OneCare

OneCare Firewall
    OneCare AntiSpyware and AntiVirus

We can also temporarily stop these services, restart the computer, and then start these services again.

If any of the services can not be started, or any error message is received when starting these services, please capture a screenshot when the error message is encountered.

Is the issue resolved now?

If the issue persists, let’s reset permission of the OneCare Database folder.

Step 2: Reset permission of Database folder

=================================

1. To reset permission of Database folder, let's download the OneCare Update Fix tool via the link below:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/4/f/74f8bf9b-a19e-4f14-b3e7-0a3fe389224d/CaclsDeleteDB.exe

2. Please save the Fix tool package on the Desktop. Locate the Desktop, double click on the downloaded package and click the "Continue" button.

3. Accept the "License Agreement" and click the "Continue" button.

4. Press the "Start" button and wait for the tool to fix the issue.

5. Once the tool has completed, click on the "Close" button.

6. Reboot the computer.

Is the issue resolved now?

Note: Please understand that after running the update fix tool, we may be prompted to run a full backup again. By design, while running this tool to fix the problematic Database folder, all the information in it will be removed. I appreciate your understanding.

If the issue persists, we may need to reinstall the MSXML or Microsoft .NET Framework component to troubleshoot the issue. Before doing so, please help me collect the following information. I will perform further research after receiving the information and provide more accurate suggestions.

1. A Screenshot of the error message

============================

Please capture a screenshot of the error (if we received any error from OneCare):

1. When the error appears, please press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on the keyboard.

2. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories and then click Paint.

3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as the "Save as type", and click Save to save the screenshot file to your Desktop.

4. Please send your response and this file to my email account: v-30jimj@mssupport.microsoft.com.

2. OneCare Support Data

===================

1. Please locate the following folder if Windows is installed on the C drive:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\

2. Double click the file named OneCareSupport or OneCareSupport.exe. It will begin to collect the information.

3. When it finishes collecting the information, note the shown path and name of the information file. (Generally, it is C:\OneCareSupportData.zip)

4. Please send this file to (deleted tech email)

I appreciate your time on collecting the information above. Once I receive them, I will perform further research and reply to you as soon as possible. If anything above is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Jimmy Shi

My Repair # is SRX10854579. 

Monday, November 24, 2008 9:53 PM

Answers

• I assume that you sent the requested logs to the tech. I recommend continuing to work with support for this and post back if they do not get back to you.

Have you reviewed this thread - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2497220&SiteID=2 - to see if it applies to your situation?

As for the Windows Security Center alert about the firewall being off - if the OneCare firewall *is* actually one, and OneCare's status is green, then this is a false alert which can be resolved by following the steps here:

Windows Security Center fix - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2469173&SiteID=2

If OneCare is in red status and the firewall won't start, the Windows Security Center is not broken, since it is reporting the correct status of OneCare's broken firewall.

-steve

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 1:10 PM