Recover Moved File Only (Not a deleted one I can do that) - Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We replace a computer of our in the office with a new one and I had a few files to remove from the old on and put on the new one. I used a USB stick to move the files onto and then put it into the new PC and moved them from the stick to the documents folder.

All of the files seem to be OK except the most important one an Excel spreadsheet, it opens with an errror and there is no data there.

I thought it would be easy enough to use something like FreeUndelete to recover it from my USB stick but that show loads of files but not the one I want or any of the other files that I moved.

I have looked at this with severl recovery tools and none are able to list my Moved files. I fired up the old PC with tyhe same results so far

Am I missing something as I thought during a move the OS just performs a copy - delete function in one step

Please advise if you have come across this problem before and have found a solution

regards

TV

Monday, August 23, 2010 2:51 PM

Answers

• Dear Windows XP customer,

Sorry to hear about the problem you encountered. The Microsoft Fix it Center forum is limited to the Fix it Center tool only. Please try reposting your question to the Windowx XP file forum on the Microsoft Answers portal at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xpfiles/threads?filter=answered.

Regards

Daniel Chow
    Sr. Software Development Engineer
    Product Quality and Online

This email is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 12:55 AM