File Locations and Activation RRS feed

• Question

• When using the Genuine Advantage I get the following messages:

Reasons this PC Failed

• Microsoft Office Visio for Enterprise Architects:
      • The validation process could not be completed. Necessary files may have been tampered with.
    • Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003:
      • The validation process could not be completed. Necessary files may have been tampered with.
    • Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007:

I believe that this is in error.  All of the products have been properly activated on a Vista machine using MSDN licenses and when checked in the products they claim to be properly registered and activated. 

What GIVES?

Dan Hartshorn

Hartshorn Associates

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 1:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Dan,

In order to see what is going on, I will need you to run our diagnostic tool on the PC that failed validation.

1)      Logon to the PC that is experiencing the notifications as a user with ADMIN rights.

2)      Download the tool:   http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 click RUN.

3)      When the tool loads, click CONTINUE.

4)      Is the RESOLVE button available?  If so, please click RESOLVE to allow the diagnostic tool to repair the issue.

5)      From the Windows tab, click the COPY button.

6)      Please reply back to this post and PASTE the results.

I'll take a look at it once you post it and I will have a better idea as to what the issue may be.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 9:32 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Without having seen the diagnostic output (before resolving and rebooting), it's hard to speculate 'why' you initially had an issue.   

One of the most common reasons and the main one our diagnostic tool fixes automatically for customers (so you don't have to step through the KB article link supplied below) is an issue with Windows XP and being able to detect digital signatures.

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=813442

I hope this helps.  If you have customers that run into issues and you need to assist them, or need our assisstance, I would recommend noting the steps I provided about obtaining and running the diagnostic tool (from our previous post).  With the output from the tool, we are able to easily recommend a fix for most issues encountered.

Thanks!
    Michelle

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 11:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

In order to see what is going on, I will need you to run our diagnostic tool on the PC that failed validation.

1)      Logon to the PC that is experiencing the notifications as a user with ADMIN rights.

2)      Download the tool:   http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 click RUN.

3)      When the tool loads, click CONTINUE.

4)      Is the RESOLVE button available?  If so, please click RESOLVE to allow the diagnostic tool to repair the issue.

5)      From the Windows tab, click the COPY button.

6)      Please reply back to this post and PASTE the results.

I'll take a look at it once you post it and I will have a better idea as to what the issue may be.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 9:32 PM
  • After a reboot and running the tool noted the problem is resolved.  Is there a KB article that discusses these issues if I were to run into them with my clients?

Thanks for your efforts.

Dan Hartshorn
    Principal Consultant
    Hartshorn Associates, Inc.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 3:13 AM
  • Hi Dan,

Without having seen the diagnostic output (before resolving and rebooting), it's hard to speculate 'why' you initially had an issue.   

One of the most common reasons and the main one our diagnostic tool fixes automatically for customers (so you don't have to step through the KB article link supplied below) is an issue with Windows XP and being able to detect digital signatures.

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=813442

I hope this helps.  If you have customers that run into issues and you need to assist them, or need our assisstance, I would recommend noting the steps I provided about obtaining and running the diagnostic tool (from our previous post).  With the output from the tool, we are able to easily recommend a fix for most issues encountered.

Thanks!
    Michelle

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 11:24 PM