MPI implemantion needs and HOW TO. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone.

I'm very new with MPI and need some guidelines.

I have 3 computers with 4 cores each that I connected in a intranet using a hub.

I want to build a cloud that could run a MPI code like the hello world massage using all the computers and cores on my network and each core will show the "hello world" message. (total 12 messages on my network) EXAMPLE hello world CODE: WIKI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_Passing_Interface)

I don't know where to start I mean what kind of windows I need for each computer on the net? and if I need to install more softwares for my goal?.

also what are the fail over cluster in windows server and what is the HPC version ... do I need one of them for my goal?

and is there a documentation on all the process that can help me?

Sunday, July 24, 2011 10:40 AM

All replies

• Dear Kean2

There is big amount of available information in the Internet.

Firstly you should install some MPI implementation. I would recommend MPICH 2 because it is enough stable and don't has strange behaviour as for example OpenMPI.

So:

1) Install the MPICH2 executable on all nodes. Write down the passphrase “behappy” for future reference.

make sure that the MPICH2 versions are the same on all nodes

Ensure that Windows Firewall can allow files sharing

Add “C:\Program Files\MPICH2\bin” to the PATH var and System Variables

register your user in MPICH infrastructure with "mpiexec –register user 1 domainname\username"

mpiexec –validate user 1”

Mpiexec should return a message “SUCCESS”

That's all that you should do for set-up your MPICH cluster.

2) And then you can run your program two ways:

mpiexec –n 2 c:\c.exe

mpiexe c –hosts 2 node1 1 node2 1 c:\c.exe

3) Be aware of syntax that mpiexec uses. And folder with executables should be shared across your nodes. AND! What is critical. You should build your program with suitable LIB from MPI implementation because of compatibility might be a problem.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 4:26 AM
  • Hi Ahriman,

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.

From what you wrote I understand that there is no difference in what windows version I will use. I only need MPICH.

Also could you send me some links from the internet about implementation of MPI on windows platforms. I couldn't find somthing usefull.

Thank you again.

Kean

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 10:18 AM
  • Hello Kean,

For MSMPI, you may browse the following link for more information:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720120(WS.10).aspx

Thanks,
    james

Monday, October 10, 2011 10:42 PM