Drive Extender won't start anymore, data disk "failed" while data still there RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I had 2x 1TB disks in use; I bought a third one and wanted to add it to the data volume. I shut down the server to relocate the disks within the server case, then started it again.

After booting the server, the Connector icon went yellow, indicating a problem. The WHS console says that a) the Drive Extender service isn't running and b) that the second disk (that has data on it) is in failed state, I might want to repair it. Trying the repair, it remains in failed state.

The Defilter service is running while the Extender service is not, and can't be started (tried manually). It seems (!) as if all the data was still there and was accessible but the Drive Extender is missing some link on the second disk to be able to balance disk space. Right now, I formatted the third disk, didn't add it to the volume but try to copy all the date from the data volume to that new disk before it's lost.

Any suggestion what to do now?
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I had 2x 1TB disks in use; I bought a third one and wanted to add it to the data volume. I shut down the server to relocate the disks within the server case, then started it again.

After booting the server, the Connector icon went yellow, indicating a problem. The WHS console says that a) the Drive Extender service isn't running and b) that the second disk (that has data on it) is in failed state, I might want to repair it. Trying the repair, it remains in failed state.

The Defilter service is running while the Extender service is not, and can't be started (tried manually). It seems (!) as if all the data was still there and was accessible but the Drive Extender is missing some link on the second disk to be able to balance disk space. Right now, I formatted the third disk, didn't add it to the volume but try to copy all the date from the data volume to that new disk before it's lost.

Any suggestion what to do now?

Did you try putting the hard drives back where they were before you shut it down the first time?  When you tried starting DE manually, did you get an error message?  If so, exactly what did it say?
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:24 AM
  • As for the disks: not sure I understand... I only put them one slot higher in the server case and attached the same cables again. I didn't touch them anymore since then.

As for DE (error is in German, I try to translate as good as I can):

"The service Drive Extender on Local Computer could not be started.

Error 1053: the service did not respond in time to the start or control request"
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:32 AM
  • As for the disks: not sure I understand... I only put them one slot higher in the server case and attached the same cables again. I didn't touch them anymore since then.

As for DE (error is in German, I try to translate as good as I can):

"The service Drive Extender on Local Computer could not be started.

Error 1053: the service did not respond in time to the start or control request"

Oh ok, I thought you moved the connections as well (not just the physical location of the hard drives).

You might try running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server (starting with your primary drive).
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:47 AM
  • I will run chkdsk once I'm finished copying the data and post the results here - thanks for your help so far.

EDIT: running the chdsk now: by the way: I noticed that I cannot access c:\fs (before starting the chkdsk) - Windows told me that it would refer to an unavailable path... by the way (2): I think I was able to pull all the data from the data volume onto the standalone disk, so it seems as if the data itself is okay (i.e. the disks, even though the second one is labeled "failed") but the "link" between the two partitions / disks is gone, so drive extender can't do its work - just guessing, though.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 5:03 AM
  • I think you might have swapped the data cables on the two drives (if SATA) or swapped the master/slave connectors (if PATA). Or otherwise changed which physical connection on your motherboard each drive was associated with.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:03 PM
  • I think you might have swapped the data cables on the two drives (if SATA) or swapped the master/slave connectors (if PATA). Or otherwise changed which physical connection on your motherboard each drive was associated with.

Well that would have been a rather common mistake and I need to check that one more time, however, I wonder why the data was still accessible afterwards, it's just DE that doesn't work anymore. Besides that, I'm pretty sure I checked the cabling part like 5 times.

chkdsk d: /x /r did not show any errors, and chkdsk c: /x /r obviously didn't report any errors in the eventlog, at least I can't find any.

Anything I can do now besides re-install?

Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:40 PM

Well that would have been a rather common mistake and I need to check that one more time, however, I wonder why the data was still accessible afterwards, it's just DE that doesn't work anymore. Besides that, I'm pretty sure I checked the cabling part like 5 times.

chkdsk d: /x /r did not show any errors, and chkdsk c: /x /r obviously didn't report any errors in the eventlog, at least I can't find any.

Anything I can do now besides re-install?

Unless you can think of something else that might have caused it, I think Server Reinstallation may be your only option left.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 10:53 PM