none
Suddenly unstable Live Writer Crashes frequently

Question

• For the past week nearly ever other attempted post from Live Writer results in an error report being sent to Microsoft and the post not getting published.  I'm blogging to Wordpress.com and from Vista Ultimate.  Windows and Live Writer are fully updated.  Any idea what is causing this?  This issue began before the latest Writer update was installed.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:15 AM

All replies

• Can you send me your Windows Live Writer log file?

bturner@microsoft.com

Help > About > Show Log File
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Friday, April 10, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Same problem here.  I've had Live Writer installed forever.  My last update was over a month ago.  Then, Live Writer started crashing.  Today it has happened every time I press the "Link" button to add a link.  I do the Send a Report (Yes) and then it doesn't close Live Writer and I can still do a publish and edit and manually add the links inside of Wordpress.  I did a re-download / install yesterday with no improvement.  (FYI, it seems that the installer hangs at 73% until the user manually starts IE and then it takes off again.)  Looks like it might have something to do with the link glossary which I am assuming is the "Automatically link this in the future" feature.

Thanks,
    Brian
    www.arcticllama.com

EventType : windowslivewriter    
    P1 : windowslive.writer.htmleditor.ihtmleditorcommandsource.insertlink    
    P2 : 198     P3 : system.typeinitializationexception     P4 : 14.0.8064.206
    P5 : 2.0.50727.3053     P6 : windows live writer 

Here is the dwlog.txt:
    00000 12:17:26:75 PM  User is opted into CEIP
    00001 12:17:26:79 PM  Starting Windows Live Writer 14.0.8064.206
    00002 12:17:26:79 PM  .NET version: 2.0.50727.3053
    00003 12:17:26:84 PM  No legacy directory to monitor for plugins. Ignoring legacy directory.
    00004 12:17:26:84 PM  Not monitoring legacy registry key in HKLM.
    00005 12:17:27:45 PM  499 499
    00006 12:17:41:95 PM Fail Unexpected Error Occurred
    Exception Details:
    An unexpected error has occurred within the application.
    System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.Linking.GlossaryManager' threw an exception. ---> System.ArgumentException: Missing text parameter
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.Linking.GlossaryManager.GlossaryLinkItemFromXml(XmlNode node)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.Linking.GlossaryManager..ctor()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.Linking.GlossaryManager..cctor()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.HtmlEditorControl.WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.IHtmlEditorCommandSource.InsertLink()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.PostHtmlEditing.BlogPostHtmlEditor.InsertLink()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.TextEditingCommandDispatcher.InsertLinkCommand.Execute()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.TextEditingCommandDispatcher.TextEditingCommand.Execute(Object sender, EventArgs ea)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.ApplicationFramework.Command.RaiseEvent(Object eventKey, EventArgs e)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.ApplicationFramework.Command.OnExecute(EventArgs e)

Here is the dwstacktrace.txt:

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.Linking.GlossaryManager' threw an exception. ---> System.ArgumentException: Missing text parameter
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.Linking.GlossaryManager.GlossaryLinkItemFromXml(XmlNode node)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.Linking.GlossaryManager..ctor()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.Linking.GlossaryManager..cctor()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.HtmlEditorControl.WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.IHtmlEditorCommandSource.InsertLink()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.PostHtmlEditing.BlogPostHtmlEditor.InsertLink()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.TextEditingCommandDispatcher.InsertLinkCommand.Execute()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.TextEditingCommandDispatcher.TextEditingCommand.Execute(Object sender, EventArgs ea)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.ApplicationFramework.Command.RaiseEvent(Object eventKey, EventArgs e)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.ApplicationFramework.Command.OnExecute(EventArgs e)
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:23 PM
  • Oops, got mine manually by following the files in the report.  Hopefully that is ok.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:24 PM
  • http://blog.lovelovemode.com/2009/03/22/windowslivewriterhtmleditorlinkingglossarymanager-problem/

That explains how to fix it, ask if you need more details.  I have filed a bug for this already, it should be fixed next time we release.  Sorry for the inconvenience. 
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:41 PM
  • Thanks for the solution.  Bugs happen.  Getting the answer is the important thing.  Thanks.

P.S.  It worked!
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:11 PM