Custom Entity in the Customers partylist. RRS feed

• Question

•  

When adding a new Service Activity, we have the search functionality for Customers.  Currently when I want to search for a customer it only allows you to search on Account or Contact.  I want to also be able to search on my Custom Entity type.  Can you add this type to the search type list?

Currently I'm using the CRM Live Online but we plan on moving to the Enterprise Client.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 8:57 PM

Answers

• If your custom entity has a one to many relationship with contact, that means that there is a lookup attribute for vet hospital on Contact, right?

That also means that this can be quick searchable, if you make it.  If you go in to customizations and open the quick find view, you can make any field on the contact searchable from the quick search bar, including your custom attribute.

Secondly, you can do a lot more using advanced find.  If you frequently will be searching for contacts based on their associated vet hospital, set up an advanced find and save it, so you can come back later and just edit one or two of the lines and repeat the search.

Third, why not make the Vet hospital a type of account?  You could set up a relationship type of "Vet Hospital" in the relationship type/customertypecode picklist and classify all of the vet hospitals as "Vet hospital."  It sounds like you are just creating another account entity, given that you are tracking businesses with associated contacts.

Fourth, you are correct, you cannot add additional entities to the system partylist; however, using the link that I sent in my last post, you can create a custom partylist to replace the standard partylist that includes whatever entities that you want.

Friday, May 23, 2008 2:35 AM
  •  

Yes, that is what I do.  Here's an example where I'm displaying certain tabs depending on if the relationship type is store or if it is airport newsstand

if(crmForm.all.customertypecode.DataValue == 2)   // Store
      {
      crmForm.all.tab2Tab.style.display="";
      crmForm.all.tab3Tab.style.display="none";
      crmForm.all.tab4Tab.style.display="";
      }

if(crmForm.all.customertypecode.DataValue == 1)   // Airport Newsstand
      {
      crmForm.all.tab2Tab.style.display="none";
      crmForm.all.tab3Tab.style.display="";
      crmForm.all.tab4Tab.style.display="none";
      }

I have that in both the OnLoad for the form and the OnChange for the customertypecode attribute.  The tab#Tab number is based on the position of the tab.  Starting at the left is tab0Tab, next is tab1Tab, etc.  You can verify the tab# using the IE Developer toolbar, or any other tool that will show you the DOM name.

This is really best practice so you can view all of your accounts together, when desired, or have separate views with their own unique attributes, and reports can reflect both.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 2:32 PM
  • It really "depends".  If you want the items to appear in things like the Customer lookup, then you have no choice but to "sub-type" the Account or contact entities.  If that relationship isn't important, then a custom entity can do the trick.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:29 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately, there is no way to add new customer "types".

Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:13 PM
  • Over at the Stunnware CRM blog, they have posted a solution to creating custom Customer partylist lookups that include custom entities.

http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=JS21

It's pretty complex, but it does work.
    Monday, May 19, 2008 12:04 AM
  • I'm hoping my post was fuzzy for this reason.  There are many places where you want to look up an entiy relation.  Currently I have a custom entity called vet hospital which has a one to many relationship with the default contact. 

When I enter a contact into the vet hospital everything works fine and I can see the contact under the vet hospitals contact list.  When I go into the contact the vet hospital doesn't show in the contacts relationships.  When I try and create this relationship the search will only allow me to search for contacts or accounts. 

From your previous answer I'm assuming there is no way to add my new vet hospital entity as a party to search for in the "Look Up Records" form.  Is this correct?

This has held true for all of my "Look Up" forms.

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:45 PM
  • If your custom entity has a one to many relationship with contact, that means that there is a lookup attribute for vet hospital on Contact, right?

That also means that this can be quick searchable, if you make it.  If you go in to customizations and open the quick find view, you can make any field on the contact searchable from the quick search bar, including your custom attribute.

Secondly, you can do a lot more using advanced find.  If you frequently will be searching for contacts based on their associated vet hospital, set up an advanced find and save it, so you can come back later and just edit one or two of the lines and repeat the search.

Third, why not make the Vet hospital a type of account?  You could set up a relationship type of "Vet Hospital" in the relationship type/customertypecode picklist and classify all of the vet hospitals as "Vet hospital."  It sounds like you are just creating another account entity, given that you are tracking businesses with associated contacts.

Fourth, you are correct, you cannot add additional entities to the system partylist; however, using the link that I sent in my last post, you can create a custom partylist to replace the standard partylist that includes whatever entities that you want.

Friday, May 23, 2008 2:35 AM
  • Thanks, I'll try the customer partylist.

The reason I don't use the account is that I'm going to have 4 entities that will all have different fields that I need to capture.  Would you just add all of the fields to the account and hide some fields depending on the account type?

I'm new to CRM so I'm not sure the best practices.

Thanks again 

Thursday, June 5, 2008 2:13 PM
  •  

Yes, that is what I do.  Here's an example where I'm displaying certain tabs depending on if the relationship type is store or if it is airport newsstand

if(crmForm.all.customertypecode.DataValue == 2)   // Store
      {
      crmForm.all.tab2Tab.style.display="";
      crmForm.all.tab3Tab.style.display="none";
      crmForm.all.tab4Tab.style.display="";
      }

if(crmForm.all.customertypecode.DataValue == 1)   // Airport Newsstand
      {
      crmForm.all.tab2Tab.style.display="none";
      crmForm.all.tab3Tab.style.display="";
      crmForm.all.tab4Tab.style.display="none";
      }

I have that in both the OnLoad for the form and the OnChange for the customertypecode attribute.  The tab#Tab number is based on the position of the tab.  Starting at the left is tab0Tab, next is tab1Tab, etc.  You can verify the tab# using the IE Developer toolbar, or any other tool that will show you the DOM name.

This is really best practice so you can view all of your accounts together, when desired, or have separate views with their own unique attributes, and reports can reflect both.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 2:32 PM
  • Is this a best practice in using CRM?  In what cases would you use a Custom Entity?

Thanks for you help.

Monday, June 16, 2008 3:54 PM
  • It really "depends".  If you want the items to appear in things like the Customer lookup, then you have no choice but to "sub-type" the Account or contact entities.  If that relationship isn't important, then a custom entity can do the trick.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:29 AM
  • Thanks Matt, I appreciate the help.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 7:41 PM