Change product key during the activation of the vista. RRS feed

• Question

• I call microsoft to activate my windows vista and the system doesn't recognize the Installtion  ID, then i wil have to change the product key to get a new Installatio ID, the question is; where can i find the change product button????? and in the case i don't have access to the windows becuase the grace period is passed how can i get it?????????
    Sunday, January 21, 2007 11:55 AM

Answers

• Hi Dina,

I'm sorry I misread the part where you mentioned you were out of grace before.  When you try to log in, you should be presented with a window that gives you four options:

1. Activate Windows online now --> (this will try to activate with whatever key you already have installed)

2. Buy a new product key online --> (self-explanatory)

3. Retype your product key --> (this is the same as "Change product key" and will give you the opportunity to enter a new key if you want to activate with a key that's not yet installed)

4. Show me other ways to activate --> (this is will give you two more options

a.  Use my modem to connect directly to the activation service

b. Use the automated phone system

I think you'll want to choose the 4th one in the first window and the 2nd on in the next window.  It will give you a new installation ID, so you can phone activate.

Please let me know if that still doesn't work for you.  Thanks!

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 7:47 PM

All replies

• Do you need to change your product key so that you can activate Windows Vista properly? You can use a great command line tool that will help you do this very easily. Just follow these steps:

1. Click on the Start Button and key in command prompt so that it shows up on your start menu search list. Right click on the Command Prompt shortcut and select Run As Administrator.
    2. At the administrator command prompt, type in "slmgr.vbs -ipk <insert your product key here>"
    3. To activate windows after changing the key, run "slmgr.vbs -ato"
    Sunday, January 21, 2007 4:54 PM
  • Thanks a lot for your help but i think i need a diffrent thing.  You know that sometimes the system of MS can not recognize the installation ID that appears in the activation wizard when the user chooses activate by phone, and this way he can not get a confirmation ID and that 's the number which gonna activate his windows.

The solution will be change the product key so that the operating system can generate another installation ID that the system of MS can recognize it "you know? like what we used to do with the windows xp" , but the problem is that there is no change product key button in the activation wizard of the Vista the XPso how can the user do it. I also want to know if the operating system is blocked and the only thing the user can see is the activation wizard how can he do it??? i need to understand more regarding this issue.

Monday, January 22, 2007 10:47 AM
  • Hi Dina,

You can change your product key through a link in the System Properties window (to get there right-click on Computer and select Properties in the menu.)  At the bottom of the System Properties window (in the "Windows activation" section) there is a blue link with the words "Change product key" and a small shield icon next to it.  Your system might need a second or two to display it.

Let me know if that works for you.  Thank you!

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 12:13 AM
  • Hi

Thanks a lot for your help, it works, but what i still don't know how can i do it if the windows is blocked after the 30 days "The grace period of the activation" i mean if i don't activate the windows within the grace period, after those 30 days the PC will be blockoed, i will have no access to windows, so i won't be able to  ringht click on my computer and then properties and all this.  Please tell me how???

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 5:37 PM
  • Hi Dina,

I'm sorry I misread the part where you mentioned you were out of grace before.  When you try to log in, you should be presented with a window that gives you four options:

1. Activate Windows online now --> (this will try to activate with whatever key you already have installed)

2. Buy a new product key online --> (self-explanatory)

3. Retype your product key --> (this is the same as "Change product key" and will give you the opportunity to enter a new key if you want to activate with a key that's not yet installed)

4. Show me other ways to activate --> (this is will give you two more options

a.  Use my modem to connect directly to the activation service

b. Use the automated phone system

I think you'll want to choose the 4th one in the first window and the 2nd on in the next window.  It will give you a new installation ID, so you can phone activate.

Please let me know if that still doesn't work for you.  Thanks!

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 7:47 PM
  •  

I am very sorry to disturb you.

But I dont remember the product key.

But i remeber the product ID:89578-OEM-7332157-00237.

Can uyou pls help me to find the product key by using product ID

Sunday, November 11, 2007 4:55 AM
  • since the grace period has expired you have to reinstall vista believe me it will be less of a headache than going to microsoft customer services cos most of all of them seem to think your copy is either pirated or they make you run around in circles.. here is what i did as i had the same problem.. the change product key is located in start control panel then system.. if you look at the bottom there will be something that says 16 days or so activate windows now and there will be in blue change product key..the problem i had was if i clicked the product key nothing would happen same with clicking the activate windows now option in that section.by the way i had this problem after i  upgraded to windows vista premium. you will need your windows cd including the product id which is located on the cover of the cd package ignore the one under your laptop. you have to reinstall load disc in to drive once loaded run the disc and go through the process click on minimum installation to make it faster you can redo full installation later once it checks how fast your computer is it will say windows has enough information if yo uget a section before or after asking you to type in your cd key make sure you do so from the cd cover. it will take a while so bare with it. it will reboot itself a number of times if you hve a password installed only type in password and click enter it will ask you do yo uwant to load from the cd or dvd do not make a choice let it continue by itself and it will start from where it left of to finish installation. now after all that is done and your back on your windows go to start control panel system and click on product key youll most likely see it in my case just make an hour glass for a second and thats it. if you get a screen asking for your key type it in try the disc one first if that doesnt work try the one under your laptop and go through the process.. if how ever nothing happens dont worry go to run type in SLUI 4 yes with the space before the four it will take you to windows activation wizard find your country click on it click next it will have changed your instalation id quick as possible phone the number given and go through the process as the installation id is time sensitve. once youve gone through the process it will ask you was it pre installed say the option yo ubought it you have only 1 copy i would assume and so on ignore when it says activating windows xp that doesnt matter after that the problem should be solved.. and i am glad to say very soon after years of being treated like rubbish by microsoft i am finally going to use mac book and use linux in all my other computers cos for gods sake it is not worth going through all of this just to be treated like a criminal to get a product to work when you have paid for it.. hope this is helpful to anyone with this problem.. sorry if theres anything that isnt understandable just quote me nd ill rephrase.. sam
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:32 PM
  • Although I successfully activated the productkey, I am still unable to operate Microsoft Office OneNote 2007, reason given: wrong ID. I would appreciate a change of productkey on activation.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 2:30 PM
  • The only product key that will work with Microsoft Office OneNote 2007 is a specific product key for OneNote.  A product key for Microsoft Office cannot be used to activate OneNote.

How to purchase Microsoft Office OneNote: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/FX102464451033.aspx

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 3:02 PM
  • Product key of Windows vista business

Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:46 PM
  • How to purchase Microsoft Windows Vista Business:

Full Version: http://windowsmarketplace.com/details.aspx?itemid=3268626

Upgrade Version: http://windowsmarketplace.com/details.aspx?view=info&itemid=3268634

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:31 PM
  • The fourth option is grayed out for me.

I have purchased ANOTHER copy of Vista, and I have it sitting right here in front of me with the product key displayed, and when I type that into the re-enter product key it tells me that it is invalid. 
    Friday, July 24, 2009 7:02 PM